Upgrading Catchers gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
I know it's not as neat looking as having all one brand, but there's also no rule that says your daughter can't pick and choose guards from one maker, a chest protector from another and a helmet from a third to make a set that she's comfortable with.

Very true and this is exactly what we did. We were more interested in fit, function, and protection than any head-to-toe brand loyalty, so we got out of the 'set' mentality and set out to find the best of each particular piece. We wanted non-bulky gear for a fit, trim, kid. This ruled out many chest protectors and all of the wide leg guards.

With that being said, another goal was to have a reasonably matched color scheme. With some diligence we were able to do so, and ended up with:
Easton 'Stealth Fastpitch' helmet
Schutt Scorpion Chest protector (best I've ever seen, with many sizes avail for a nicely taylored fit)
Easton Stealth Fastpitch leg guards (narrow and very 'fitted')

The fit of DD's pieces really makes a huge difference IMO. With really good fitting gear, DD plays as if she isn't wearing any gear if that makes sense. In other words the gear isn't a cumbersome bulky anchor.

I'll also give honorable mention to the Mizuno leg guards and chest protectors, but would complete that 'set' with a different helmet if I were buying.

Good luck!
VW

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Gear that fits well is paramount. I work with a lot of catchers that outgrow their gear and instead of the kneecap being squarely in the knee cup portion of the shin guard, the edge of the shin guard's knee cup rides directly over the kneecap. Even with padded edges this can often cut into a catcher's knee and cause pain or discomfort when dropping to their knees to block.

Chest protectors should be a fairly snug fit and not be loose enough to fall away from the body. We see a lot of chest protectors riding too low with the shoulder pads down on the front of the shoulders instead of up over the shoulders. The chest protector should not be too big. Your catcher should not have the chest protector riding up into their neck or throat when down in their catching stances.

Jun 27, 2011
my daughter has the diamond ix3 gear and absolutely loves it. she has had mizuno, schutt, UA, easton, and all star gear and this is by far her favorite. her next favorites would be the schutt and the mizuno.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
N10, do they sell diamond in any retail locations? From the website it looks like you have to call a "regional rep."

Jun 27, 2011
There is a store about an hour from me that has it but I ordered it from aluminumbats.com (coastal athletic supply). They had good prices and were great to deal with. And if anybody wonders, I am not affiliated with them, just passing along a positive experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma