SOFTBALL vs baseball catching differences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
that this is how I was taught as a kid so I passed it on to my kids. Just to be sure I wasnt passing on OLD information I odered the NECC DVD and they were saying the same thing and the same can be seen just watching MLB games!

I retract my comment about "old information", sorry. That knowledge is not the norm in my part of the country, but"old" does not equal "wrong".

Jan 26, 2012
One update on this:
Last week - I was hearing incorrectly on why they want all catchers taking the left hander’s batter’s box as the path to ALL bunts. - I had said they mentioned something about trying to avoid running into the batter (right handed) on their way to 1st base.

It turns out that they:
Intentionally want the catchers to cause contact with that runner – to try and get an interference call!
So taking the left handed batter’s box is the best way to do this!

They also want the same type of thing done on throws to 3rd base on steals, they are telling the girls “if the batter moves at all – collide with her while making your throw on purpose”!

Once I heard that I informed the head coach that my daughter is not allowed to take part in these lessons. (They are outside instructors – not team coaches)

I am curious what are others parents views on this – did I over react?

Last edited:

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Well that's one way to get an out =P

The only time I'll even bring up getting an interference call is when they throw down to 2B and the batter leans in or to 3B and the batter leans back. I tell them instead of avoiding contact, make the throw as usual and if they touch the batter it may be called interference. The batter shouldn't force them to change their motion.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Regarding "Runner-On" Stance... Although NECC has been instructing 3 stances for many years, the idea of this stance is still a new concept for many coaches. Some cannot or will not accept it. I have had one 18 Gold team coach tell his catcher not to use the "runner-on" stance, and never gave her an alternative. Then wonders why her blocking has suffered! Some coaches will not or cannot adapt. Using the runner-on stance is the best balance for being ready to throw or block. Hands down.

Regarding spin and fire bunt coverage... This tends to be a more advanced method of bunt coverage and not well suited to nine year olds. It is also a method that is hit and miss and does not provide consistent results, even for older catchers. When you turn and fire and miss... you miss BIG. Then runners advance and runs score. Stick with NECC's method for both skills and you cannot go wrong. Remember though, she is fielding a ball in play as are the first and third base players. If she has the play, she should call the ball... LOUDLY.

If you have a team adviser or coach for nine year olds relying on interference calls to make a play... This should be a BIG RED FLAG! Players should always rely on their skill to get the out, not a call from blue.

One other note, NECC has updated some of their instruction. The videos Jay has for sale are well worth the price. Invite Jay to host a clinic in your town too. You won't be disappointed.
Chaz @ ACC

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Couple things,

As far as the catcher (or 1st baseman for that matter) running into the batter/runner - it's not the catcher's responsiblity to avoid the runner - as long as she is making a play on the ball. It's the offense that has to avoid the defensive player that is making a play on the ball. I've seen a number of collisions when the ball drops in front of the plate and have never seen catcher obstruction called. Heck umpires seem to hate (and sometimes refuse) calling obstruction on catchers even when they clearly are obstructing. If your coaches think otherwise, I'm guess they are not very experienced.

Watch any college softball game on TV. They are on all the time (or will be soon). I don't ever recall a catcher not up higher when runners are - approximately thighs parrell to the ground. I've also never heard it taught any other way. Including the NECC. They definately know what they are doing.

Also, rarely do they throw from the knees. Sometimes it's the quickest way if they are already down blocking or I suppose there are a few that do it this way, but it's not the norm. Again, watch games on TV. You'll find that it's the exception when they throw from the knees.

Hear, hear! Also chazbz1, you are right on the money also. If down in the squat, the catcher must rise up substantially before kicking the feet out from under them, or fall forward slowly into blocking position.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Catcher is physically demanding enough without teaching players to run into each other. Once my DD went to throw down to 2nd and the batter turned and put her bat back over the plate, dd's hand hit the bat right after she threw the ball, lots of pain. Why would I suggest to her to alter her motion so she makes contact with the batter. her hand off a bat, helmet or just a shoulder... the pain or potential injury is not worth hoping that the ump sees it as interference, or even knows the interference rule.

Jul 26, 2010
Regarding the runners on stance, there are some well regarded coaches that teach catching very differently then Coach Weaver. It's more of a KISS method of catching. Ken Ericson (USA softball, UCF) is one of them. Personally, I prefer Coach Weavers methods, but just because I prefer it does not mean it is the only way to do things. Apparently Ken Ericson was pretty successful as a catcher using his method.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma