Shaved bat and what to do about it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2011
Sorry It may be me but I'm a little confused what point your trying to make. Going from shaving bat to team fees. Are you trying to say shaving a bat is the same as not paying team fees?? To me those two things are nothing alike.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Is it illegal to hit a telephone pole with a composite bat 100 times?

Actually you can as long as you don't exceed the normal pressure striking the bat against an approved ball traveling at game like speeds.

USSSA

“Altered Bats – Excessive Pressure Included in the USSSA view of what is an altered or doctored bat are any bats that are subjected to pressure in any manner that exceeds that of striking the bat against an approved ball traveling at game like speeds. Such excess pressure would include, but is not limited to, any compression, rolling, placing in a vice, hitting a stationary object such as a pole, etc”.*

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Sorry It may be me but I'm a little confused what point your trying to make. Going from shaving bat to team fees. Are you trying to say shaving a bat is the same as not paying team fees?? To me those two things are nothing alike.

No, comparing disciplining the kid for something the parents did. Many are against dismissing the kid from the team, I say it's no different than if the parents don't pay their fees. You dismiss the kid because of what the parents do/don't do.

To be clear I am not saying there should not be consequences especially after hearing more of the story although still does sound like lots of unanswered questions.

My comment was that this approach seems very child focused:
"As a coach, it's your job to make sure that the player understands that she was cheating. She should understand what she did and why she did it, and she should be disciplined accordingly. Riding pine for a few games and writing letters of apology to her team would be a good starting point. Any discussion about the bat to the parents should be handled by the player. It's the players bat, she's the one that is going to get banned, get her team into trouble, and her coach into trouble. She should take responsibility for it."

While this seems like a better approach parent focused:
What if the 8 year old doesn't know she cheated...IMO you have to let them go and tell the little girl in the presents of her parents that she is being put off of the team not because of anything she has done but that her parents broke the rules by supplying her with an illegal alterd bat, and that you do not want her to think that she has done anything wrong it was her parents...I am almost 100% certain that an 8 year old did not ask for an illegal bat and most children would not use it if they knew at that age unless the parents are really pieces of crap!"

The child still suffers the consequences but it is clear that the parents are at fault.

As an aside how would a suspension actually work. For the local directors you could probably just get away with blacklisting them or something, although if a coach was willing to have her on the team how would the formal protest to parent organization work. Without the actual bat being discovered in the game the parents could just deny it and that would be it, everything is just rumor.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think your "parent approached" thing is fine.

Just me, I couldn't do it. Even though her parents, probably just dad, made a bad choice, I don't think it helps anything for me to tell a little girl that her parents, the most important people in her life, are cheats. So what if they are d-bags, it is not my job in this world to tell the little girl that. I always tell my kids the Enquist quote "what comes out of your mouth is either positive, or it's poison" and telling the young lady that her folks got her kicked off the team feels a little like poison to me.

I would tell the parents they are done, and they can tell her whatever they want...."we made a mistake" or "your coach is a jerk" that is their choice to make, not mine.

I guess you could do that too...just kick them off the team and let the parents explain, but I would imagine the girl would find out eventually especially in this age of cell phone, facebook, etc., might not be as harsh but biggest thing she needs to understand is it is not her fault...unless someone thinks she said "Daddy can I get a shaved bat for Christmas"

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
The kids at 10U here are swinging Xeno's, Demarini's, Easton's Stealth, Synergy Speed's, etc.. We are talking 31/21 bats at this age. And they can seemingly keep the bat head up and get around on it when kids on my team swinging a 19 or 20 oz bat cannot. I know something is up but how can anyone prove it. I suppose the umpire can carry a scale and weigh them. After all shaving removes material meaning it should not weigh less than listed or it would be a altered bat? I do not see anyone really shaving a 17 oz bat. As a matter of fact if they would just let their DD swing the right length and weighted bat they probably would swing faster and hit just as hard. But then again It would not be as cool.
Look if the Dad knows it is a rules violation I would explain how it would place you and the team at risk as well as his daughter. If he does not seem to get it then and change his arrogance then I say release him. Let him be upset and you go on being able to look at yourself in the mirror every day. Period. Really stinks to hear you are in this situation. It is not cool at all. Good luck whatever you do.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish