Shaved bat and what to do about it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2011
"Dad" knew exactly what he was doing and has zero respect for the rules...Cut them free NOW more problems are down the road...The girl prolly does not know and likely does not understand what dad was doing...

FWIW it sound like whereever you are there are some serious issues....I would notify the sanctioning bodies of the "rumor" of rampant illegal bat usage...

Aug 7, 2012
You're the coach, ask the dad if the bat is altered and if he knows the bat is illegal. If he says yes to both, boot him and have him take his daughter with him. He KNOWS the bat is illegal. Why would you want the headache and liability?

I don't get the people who say don't punish the kids for something the parents do? Unfortunately the kid is a causality of the parent stupidity, and their blatant negligence effects other innocent people...DD included.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
the distance the bat gets is not relative is it? It is cheating and not allowed. the parent and I could be banned for life, the kid banned until 18 if caught in USSSA.

The other coach is friend that we play against in league and he was just told by his parent about it. I assume the dad thought the coach wouldn't care or he wouldnt have told him. The dad from the other team told the other coach that he got the bat from my teams dad.

sorry hope this makes sense

IMO, even if you don't decide to take any action or your own, you need to bring this formally to the attention of your organization ASAP. They may have serious concerns about the org getting a rep for condoning/swinging cheater sticks. Same way you got wind of the bat, there's many others that also know and that number will grow exponentially. Rightly or wrongly, that's a stigma that gets attached to the player, her team mates, the teams, and the coaches. The whole matter is up to the org, not you.

Personally, if the org didn't take action and dump Mongo and his illegal-bat swinging kid (who really can't be faulted), I'd take my DD and run immediately. If Mongo stays, you jeopoardize your, and more importantly your DD's, personal integrity and SB reputation, IMO. As the coach's kid, she's more likely to be considered guilty by association than her teammates who likely are ignorant about the situation.

Feb 29, 2012
What is a shaved bat? I would think that the altering must be made on the inside of the bat otherwise it would be noticed from outside.

Jan 25, 2011
What is a shaved bat? I would think that the altering must be made on the inside of the bat otherwise it would be noticed from outside.

well you go to walmart and buy some shaving cream and disposable razors.:cool: To answer your question, yes the end cap is removed and put on a lath and honed out a little.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Those on the side of the fence about not disciplining the kid because of the parents, let me ask you all this. What would you do if the parents never paid team fees? I mean the kid doesn't have a job, would you just increase everyone elses fees to cover it or would you finally dismiss them from the team?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would dismiss the family because they put me in jeopardy. I guess I don't consider that punishment.

May 17, 2012
I agree a lot of this doesn't add up. What bat size are we talking about for a 9 year old? 17 oz? 18 oz? Did they shave a composite or alloy bat? I just can't imagine that a bat that small, when shaved, would last long.

Next time she brings her bat to practice toss up a ball and smack it hard. If it dents or cracks you will know. With adult bats I can tell when they have been modified (when hitting with it).

I am not a lawyer but I would think for legal reason if you know someone (or suspect someone) is using an altered bat I would pass it up the chain of command and let them deal with it. If you are at the top of the chain than you should deal with it. When she is at practice or games tell her she needs to use the house bat, or a teammates bat. If she doesn't she can't play.

Bat testing for 8U's coming to a tournament near you...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy