Rose colored glasses?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
My wife and I have learned to stay out of the coaches way during tryouts. I stay out of the way and talk to other parents that I know from previous teams, etc. Some tryouts even have the parents stay in center field bleachers during tryouts to keep parents away. So, no. I do not think that the organiztions think we r crazy parents.

She did get an offer form a team we really want her on, but it is subject whether other girls (pitchers/catchers) accept an offer to the team. It is for a position that he really doesn't need, but he likes her bat and her fielding.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
As a parent, and this may be bad, I hardly ever watch my kid's tryouts. I just walk around and socialize with other parents. It's fun catching up on stuff. By the time I'm done with that, the tryout is over.

Now, I can't say this is universal but softball is getting really political around here. And it's the parents more so than the organizations. I've seen parents try to "arrange" team before tryouts spreading rumors about other kids that they don't want on the team. My DD went to one tryout and had a good tryout and never got a call or anything. Eventually she was put on the lowest level 16 team (5th team). And one of the teams she tried for is still looking for players. We just scratched our heads and said WTF? But it seems like some parents and coaches think or sell the idea that they can manufacture a stud player. One parent was asking advice from another on coring out his kid's bat out in the open.

We found out later she was back-balled by one of the parents on our summer team. This is one of those fathers who is trying to force his kid to be a superstar (and she's not). It just sucked.

DD goes to another tryout - had the same kind of performance and she had the 16 and 18 coaches fighting over her. It was the exact opposite. She picked a team and we are moving on.

But why the different reactions? I can only think politics because each organization is equal in reputation, training, success, etc. It just gets nuts out there and from a parent's perspective for no good apparent reason. It just feels like a few idiots are ruining the sport for everyone.

Hope this isn't going on everywhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA