Question to DFP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Agree. I remember my older brother had a "wildlife" class in HS. Pretty much a fancy name for a hunting club. Hunting before school, then guns stored in the trucks in the parking lot, or you could have an administrator bring it into the class for cleaning. Today the Swat team would be called, the FBI, school would be locked down. Sad how society has changed.

Yep, I carried my deer rifle to school nearly everyday during hunting season. Carried a knife everyday of school. Now days, you'd be on the news.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Yep, I carried my deer rifle to school nearly everyday during hunting season. Carried a knife everyday of school. Now days, you'd be on the news.

Must have become federal law about the time I hit HS., 88'-91'. Dad always had me drop the 300 mag back by the house before school.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I'm kinda with most here. I guess I grew up and was raised to mind your own business. There is no need to stick your nose where it doesn't belong. You might end up doing something you cant take back for a situation you don't know enough about.
I also don't know this young lady's life and what she is going thru or has already went thru. No way in hell I would take it upon myself to possibly add more issue/problems to it.

But that's just my opinion.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Let's add the following hypothetical twist to the situation described by the OP.

Let's say the TB coach never hears about the incident and presents that player to interested college coaches as a kid with "outstanding moral character". And then the college coaches learn about the suspension through school records review and conclude it to be significant enough that it clearly contradicts the coach's prior representation of the player. Your scholarship-oriented DD plays for the same team and coach. Are you concerned that the coach's lack of knowledge about the other player's suspension potentially compromises their credibility and reputation when it comes time for them to talk to college coaches about your own DD (or her 10-15 other teammates)?

In this day and age, it would be amazing if the TB coach doesn't find out about the suspension; therefore, the suspended player probably is better off bringing it to the coach's attention herself than letting them hear from someone else IMO.

Dec 20, 2012
The parents are the only people that need to be informed of something like this. Since she was suspended I assume this has already happened. Notifying anyone else is firmly in the "none of your business" category.

I go both ways on this. Definitely goes under the none if your business category. But on the 18u team there could be kids as young as 13 playing. As a 13 yr old's parent I would want to know those things. But then again if u put a 13 yr old on a team with 18 yr olds you gotta expect the chance of things like this happening. But not the hs's place to bring it up to the coach.

Dec 20, 2012
And to add to it, most tb teams have player conduct rules. Teenage kids talk, so I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get to the coach, players or parents and punishment or dismissal a be handed down.

Oct 19, 2009
If it was my DD she herself would call the coach apologize to the coach/team and tell him why he/she should keep her on the team with a promise that it would not happen again.

Feb 12, 2014
If you are a school employee, disclosing this information to the TB coach could be a violation of your district's privacy regulations or possibly even state law. No chance that I'm risking my job to let someone in on information that they will most likely know in the near future anyway.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If they were smart the family would tell the TB coach themselves. Much better to hear it directly and not through the grapevine. As a TB coach I would consider this an issue between the player, her parents and the school and it would not effect her status on my TB team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd