Question to DFP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
A HS student suspended for 21 days caught with illegal substance at school.

Student plays 18G for an out of State Team.

Would you contact the 18G Coach and clue him in, or let it go?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The parents are the only people that need to be informed of something like this. Since she was suspended I assume this has already happened. Notifying anyone else is firmly in the "none of your business" category.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The parents are the only people that need to be informed of something like this. Since she was suspended I assume this has already happened. Notifying anyone else is firmly in the "none of your business" category.

I gotta go with JJ on this one.

EDIT: Assuming that it's not your DD.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
If the suspended player in question is your DD, it depends on the relationship you have with the coach. My personal feeling is that informing the coach is the transparent thing to do and helps to broaden the circle of responsibility and accountability for your DD.

If the player in question is not your DD, what would be the reason you feel it is necessary to inform the Gold coach?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
No not my DD, it was a question posed to me by someone else. I said I wouldn't contact the Coach, but last night I was thinking, and as a Coach I would want to know if one of my players had gotten into trouble... so I posted here.

May 17, 2012
If travel coach is vouching for her character to college coaches he should know. Not saying you should be the one to tell him though...

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
How did this information get in your hands (School employee?) and why would you or anyone take it upon yourself to tell the out-of-state coach? Not anyone's business but the family involved and the school district.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
There is a constant going on in this thread that I agree with and that is it is no one else's responsibility other than the parents to inform the coach of the TB team. As far as the coach vouching for the girl's character, he/she should be limiting that to what they have directly observed through practices and games such as she's a hard worker, good teammate, etc. etc. So I think it would be a personal decision for the family as far as full disclosure goes as opposed to a moral decision/obligation.

Just my POV. If a college becomes interested in her for some reason, more than likely the college coaching staff will do their due diligence and will find out on their own about the suspension and the reasoning behind it through the HS records. If for some reason the family won't want those released, then that will raise as many red flags than if they would have gotten them anyway. What the college coaching staff does with it will be up to them.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My personal stance as a coach is that school comes first. So if you can't attend school then you probably shouldn't be playing TB during that time.

That being said, it's not my job to alert a coach that I'm not affiliated with about one of his players. This is someone within the organizations job to do so. Also with the smallness of the TB world I'm going to ASSUME that the coach will find out.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Assuming she is more than an arms length away from you regarding the issue, you do not say a word as it is none of your concern. However, if you personally recommended the player to the 18G coach you may need to say something. Unfortunately I have been in similar situations with college coaches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA