Preventing Bat Drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
One can be “connected” and yet swing with their arms. This would of course not be a preferred 'connection', but there would still be a linkage between body segments, such as the 'hands' and 'shoulders', that would result in bringing the barrel towards 'contact'. This would not represent a “tight HPP”, yet it is still a form of 'connection'.

Swinging with the arms is not connection.

It is disconnection.

You are only going to confuse people, perhaps by design, if you keep redefining terms for your own "purposes".

Oct 12, 2009
Thanks for your help. Below is a picture of one of the girls with bat drag. Just a couple of comments though. The girl in the picture uses a very light bat that is evenly balanced. She has hit 2 home runs this year, but has not been hitting the ball as hard lately. I think from the swing from the picture, she hit a line drive to the shortstop who was had to jump to get to the ball. Any other help that you can give based on this photo will be appreciated.

637d1279734082-preventing-bat-drag-swing.jpg

This doesn't say bat drag, or at least bad bat drag, to me. Notice how the back elbow is still in the neighborhood of the back hip. In a swing with bat drag, the back elbow leaks well forward of the back hip.

Oct 12, 2009
Also,
FiveFrameSwing mentions if I frequent “HI”. I do not want to sound naïve, but what is HI?
sru if you have the time, could you please explain the fence drill.
Thanks again for all your help, I hope that everyone learns from this.
D’E

I would avoid HI for multiple reasons.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Swinging with the arms is not connection.

It is disconnection.

You are only going to confuse people, perhaps by design, if you keep redefining terms for your own "purposes".

CO, "connection" is an "action" that assists in obtaining a linkage between two body segments.

While a swing with a "tight HPP" may be considered a form of a "connected" swing, it is not the only form of a "connected" swing.

Let me give you another example. One can obtain "early lead arm extension", and maintain or even gain lead arm extension into 'contact' ... they can do this via an 'active' connection between their 'hands' and 'front shoulder' ... yet the swing may not have a "tight HPP".

I believe what you mean is that those that speak of a "tight HPP" are speaking of a specific swing that you consider to be a "connected" swing. Perhaps this is your ideal swing. Having a "tight HPP" is a central theme at HI, and it is one that I have learned to sincerely appreciate.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBF: I can respect that you don't recommend HI. It isn't for everyone, and it can certainly be a rough environment at times. IMO, the "truth" always wins out ... and since that's the true objective, I'm not personally concerned with the high degree of challenges that can be presented there. It certainly isn't a place where you can advocate notions without support. Challenges can be testy at times ... which is sort of nice if you are a spectator seeking information.

CO: Not to be mean, but the folks at HI are counting on you avoiding their website. It's just the way it is.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
My problem with the site is those that dominate it under mutli user names. I think you will find it it really doesn't have that many true members. That is why I only read it for entertainment. It isn't always who yells the loudest or posts the most that is right. Why many now have dropped off the site that were there to learn. . Many hitting coaches that use to post on that site have dropped off entirely.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
CO, "connection" is an "action" that assists in obtaining a linkage between two body segments.

While a swing with a "tight HPP" may be considered a form of a "connected" swing, it is not the only form of a "connected" swing.

Let me give you another example. One can obtain "early lead arm extension", and maintain or even gain lead arm extension into 'contact' ... they can do this via an 'active' connection between their 'hands' and 'front shoulder' ... yet the swing may not have a "tight HPP".

You're not using the standard definition of connection.

I believe what you mean is that those that speak of a "tight HPP" are speaking of a specific swing that you consider to be a "connected" swing. Perhaps this is your ideal swing. Having a "tight HPP" is a central theme at HI, and it is one that I have learned to sincerely appreciate.

Having a tight HPP is one thing that will tend to help you get and stay connected, but there's more to connection than that.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You're not using the standard definition of connection.

MarkH tried to explain this to you several times at BBF ... to the point that it became silly. "Connection" is an "action" ... he corrected you several times and repeatedly explained it to you. Go back and read his posts to you on the topic.

Having a tight HPP is one thing that will tend to help you get and stay connected, but there's more to connection than that.

Let me be more direct ... it is the "actions" that lead to a "tight HPP" that create the "connection" between the "hands" and the "upper thorax".

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Coach, D,

It is quicker for me to ask you to Google "fence drill hitting" than write it out. There are many variations. My DD was really casting out, this drill made it very clear to her what she was doing wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan