Playing up (School Ball) ???????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
School ball is a total joke by me. I know some on here have a good experience, but it's all about where you live. My daughter's coaches are total morons who don't know the game, don't practice, and don't know how to handle players.

This season, the HC decided to run an "official" GC account instead of the one my wife and I and another dad have run the last few years. The stats this year on her account are a total joke. My daughter is the top hitter and pitcher on the team, so I want her to have great stats, but the hitting is a joke this year. According to the team account, there have only been two ROE all year for the whole team. Apparently, every team plays stellar defense against us. Yet, in our account, there have been 22 ROEs this season. We've only made 35 errors in the team account, yet my account has 47. And we have three girls batting over .600 this season!!! Sign them all up for P5 schools, baby. Oh, wait. The highest average is actually .591 with the next at .475. My own daughter's BA is 150 points lower on my account, so you can tell I am cooking the books.

The head coach favors the 8th and 9th graders on the team because she thinks they will be with her long-term. The 8th grader is batting .125 for the season. She cancels practice on a whim and, just yesterday, had them play kickball at practice. Yeah, that's going to help the week before playoffs start.

I hate school ball...

Feb 28, 2022
School ball is a total joke by me. I know some on here have a good experience, but it's all about where you live. My daughter's coaches are total morons who don't know the game, don't practice, and don't know how to handle players.

This season, the HC decided to run an "official" GC account instead of the one my wife and I and another dad have run the last few years. The stats this year on her account are a total joke. My daughter is the top hitter and pitcher on the team, so I want her to have great stats, but the hitting is a joke this year. According to the team account, there have only been two ROE all year for the whole team. Apparently, every team plays stellar defense against us. Yet, in our account, there have been 22 ROEs this season. We've only made 35 errors in the team account, yet my account has 47. And we have three girls batting over .600 this season!!! Sign them all up for P5 schools, baby. Oh, wait. The highest average is actually .591 with the next at .475. My own daughter's BA is 150 points lower on my account, so you can tell I am cooking the books.

The head coach favors the 8th and 9th graders on the team because she thinks they will be with her long-term. The 8th grader is batting .125 for the season. She cancels practice on a whim and, just yesterday, had them play kickball at practice. Yeah, that's going to help the week before playoffs start.

I hate school ball...
How many games have you played?

We had a game where basically every player on the team had 2 legitimate fielding errors. CRAZY I know!!
Ya know what the head coach worked on at the next practice? Trick plays... like a runner faking falling down on the basepath or the catcher pretending to drop and lose the ball at home.
He tells the girls up to bat to swing through the ball as he does a swinging motion and puts all his weight onto his front foot. :oops:

*thanks for allowing me this vent session*

Aug 1, 2019
MN
How many games have you played?

We had a game where basically every player on the team had 2 legitimate fielding errors. CRAZY I know!!
Ya know what the head coach worked on at the next practice? Trick plays... like a runner faking falling down on the basepath or the catcher pretending to drop and lose the ball at home.
He tells the girls up to bat to swing through the ball as he does a swinging motion and puts all his weight onto his front foot. :oops:

*thanks for allowing me this vent session*
:oops: is right!

May 18, 2022
i make it a point every year to watch at least 1 school game for each player on the 2 16/18U teams I coach. I've seen it all every year. From the moron coach that refuses to enter player stats into the conference website, to the coach giving take sign on full count, to the coach who has 'planted' his DD at 3B (planted used on purpose), to the coach that uses 1 pitcher for every game, every inning----until she's worn out, to the coach that selectively enforces team rules to help his / her favorites, to the coach actively changing whom errors are charged to, to the coach who's starting players are reflected by parental booster club membership, to the few good to great coaches. ETC ETC, ad naseum.

never surprised when EVERY parent and player is begging for summer ball to start.... Gee I wonder why???
For softball we've been lucky and had 2 good head coaches so far, one did ride an arm for an entire season, but she was all for it and didn't plan to play in college.

Baseball on the other hand, you can apparently buy your kids way onto the varsity team. Boneheaded fielding & baserunning, weak arm, cost your team a win in the section tournament doesn't matter if you bring that $$.

Aug 5, 2022
We’ve had so many games canceled it’s not even funny we’re 14-1 with another game suspended in the 5th that’s unofficial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
HOLY shirt what a cluster F' school ball is. Politics, age over ability getting play time. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE coaching........... was not expecting this in the least...........so glad it's almost over.
... and the great thing is that you can save your dd from this terrible experience next year. Just say NO!

Feb 28, 2022
... and the great thing is that you can save your dd from this terrible experience next year. Just say NO!
That is on the table. The problem becomes not playing at all and minimal practices for 2-3 months......
I think this will be a discussion we have after this season.

Aug 23, 2016
That is on the table. The problem becomes not playing at all and minimal practices for 2-3 months......
I think this will be a discussion we have after this season.
DD's plans next year are to spend the high school season doing extra conditioning and to take extra fielding and hitting lessons, and her travel team works out twice a month for dark season. Her TB coaches told me they like the idea of her taking some time off so she'll be ready to go for the late spring and summer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207