Player Demeanor Issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Over a meaningless game......really.

So many more important things to cry about IMO. My wife and I are not raising zombies but this family doesnt cry over sports and that doesnt mean we dont care. Reserve your tears for things that really matter or you run the risk of becoming a cry baby.

Don't tell my dd it's a meaningless game. I made that mistake early on and she informed me reather quickly it means a lot to her. If it was meaningless then why would we spend many hours a week(sometimes a day) and many more dollars? If it is meaningless to you or your children perhaps you should find something else, other wise you are waisteing your time and money.
That said my dd has never cryed about softball, but I have seen her get rather upset at herself. If she did I would prolly just hug her real tight and tell her she will get 'em next time(or something corney like that), then take her to DQ.

Aug 19, 2011
What a great thread. I think until you're a parent of more than one kid it's hard to grasp just how different they are. My oldest is hard and stubborn as a mule. She would hardly ever cry as a kid, just stuffed it all in until something set her off, and then it was (still is) like Krakatoa. My second dd (of three girls) is much softer and more empathetic, much more outwardly emotional, is easily upset. But guess which one decided to pitch? The good part is that I think it's helping her manage herself better, wanting so much to do something that requires so much control.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As far as crying goes I have gotten use to it a little bit. All people have different responses to their physically pain, frustrations, successes, etc. DD has never cried on the softball field, does not mean it is right. She has cried on the ride home from the park a couple times, again not saying it is right. Just DD.

I have mentioned this before but heaven help anyone that gets in between DD and me if I see her crying on the field. Another player on her Team I do not even give a 2nd glance to anymore when she is crying. Each their own. All the other players seemed to fall somewhere in between the 2 of them.

Aug 2, 2008
Lozza, drugs are not the answer for poor lazy parenting. I know kids and adults that would or would have been diagnosed ADD but they have great parents. period.
And dont think for a second that girls are the only species that go through changes around the age of 12. I am surrounded by girls and women, maybe I am lucky enough that they are all emotionally strong and confident.

I am at the parks plenty, the kids who cry do so because they get attention, crying doesnt mean you love a sport more than a mentally tough kid.

In the end all of these games are meaningless, except for the momories made with your family and friends, only our memories wont be filled with tears and shattered dreams.

To those who see drugs as the answer for parenting dont worry, my kids will pay plenty in taxes some day to take care of your kids.

If your crying there better be a bone sticking out somewhere, I say that with a smile of course. And again this is a sports mentallity only, there are plenty of meaningful things to cry about.

Obviously this is all IMO. And yes I know I am in the extreme minority. Unfortunately

Mar 13, 2010
Lozza, drugs are not the answer for poor lazy parenting. I know kids and adults that would or would have been diagnosed ADD but they have great parents. period.

You have never met a child who needed the drugs so they could behave. Period.

My cousin is now off Ritalin at age 20. He started on it at three, because he couldn't control himself. I've seen it first hand. My auntie thought it was bad parenting because of people who judge people when they've never walked a mile in their shoes. He's never eaten chocolate, has the strictest diet imaginable and she's weaned him off Ritalin over the years by dropping his dosage. He used to have to have it twice a day just to be able to focus. I still remember coming home with my auntie after a girls night out to find him in hysterics and out of control because his dad had forgotten to give him his afternoon pill.

He's now studying to be a teacher. So explain the bad parenting to me in that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
And dont think for a second that girls are the only species that go through changes around the age of 12. I am surrounded by girls and women, maybe I am lucky enough that they are all emotionally strong and confident.

I am at the parks plenty, the kids who cry do so because they get attention, crying doesnt mean you love a sport more than a mentally tough kid.

In the end all of these games are meaningless, except for the momories made with your family and friends, only our memories wont be filled with tears and shattered dreams.

To those who see drugs as the answer for parenting dont worry, my kids will pay plenty in taxes some day to take care of your kids.

If your crying there better be a bone sticking out somewhere, I say that with a smile of course. And again this is a sports mentallity only, there are plenty of meaningful things to cry about.

Obviously this is all IMO. And yes I know I am in the extreme minority. Unfortunately
My dd is one of the toughest competitors I know. She hates to lose and hates to perform at less then her best. She is the #1 pitcher on her team, led the team in batting average and onbase percentage, and has been recruited to play on several other teams. She was her 8th grade Volleyball team's MVP, the MVP of her 8th grade track team and while in 8th grade the high school JV basketball team asked her to come to their practices when they needed extra players (over the entire 9th grade team). The HS soccer coach asked us to meet with him during the last parent teach conference because he wanted to campaign for her to join his team instead of HS softball. She is an all A student who has been to science olympiad, band solo and ensemble competition and was invited to and attended the science and technology curricullum at the county level.

And my dd cries when she is upset and frustrated. It doesn't happen often but it happens. Does she do it to gain attention, no in fact it pisses her off because it draws attention to her. Is it because she is weak, no and its not because she is strong, or because she cares more then someone else. It just happens because it happens. Her pain threshold during games is such that I'm not sure a bone sticking out would make her cry. She ran the last 80 meters of an 800 meter run while in a full blown asthma attack. But now and then she will cry when she thinks she has performed poorly and has let down her team. I don't know why it happens, but it does. If you ever have a kid cry in the car after she threw a no hitter with 18 strike outs because she didn't hit well during the doubleheader. Then you would be scratching your head, just like I did when it happened to me. I can confidently say, she has a sports mentality, and is mentally strong. Its just part of who she is.

Kids can't be lumped into cut and dry catagories. Not all cry for the same reasons, just like there is no cut and dry catagory for those who never do.

I'll let someone with different experience address the medicine issue, but I assume that I am very lucky that neither of my kids needed it.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Everyone, let's dial it down on the personal stuff. Please leave the debates over whether drugs for kids are good or bad out. Just stick to softball.

May 25, 2010
Agreed that calling someone a judgmental scumbag isn't in keeping with the spirit of the site, but drugs in softball are a fact of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd