"Pitching machines", some do some don't!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
@RichK, HC used the dipple balls last night, instead of the liteflight balls. The girls hit a lot better last night. HC used those liteflights in the machine that night, because I was throwing live to the girls in the cage. We moved the machine into the cage last night, big difference. I still don't like pitching machines, but the result was much better. My dd was feeding the the machine with the lite flight balls and she told me those balls would rise about 8" or more at a late break. Thanks to all for the replies and post.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
IMHO...You got to do them all... Live, net & machine. One point that I'll raise in favor of machines, even though like you, I'm not big into them, is TRYOUTS. Still mad about them striking out every girl there at the first one I went to. Last year I sent two weeks before TO on the machine. Did lots better, and gave them the "Talk about THAT" look. Like them or not, you better master them !!!

Sep 17, 2009
IMHO...You got to do them all... Live, net & machine. One point that I'll raise in favor of machines, even though like you, I'm not big into them, is TRYOUTS. Still mad about them striking out every girl there at the first one I went to. Last year I sent two weeks before TO on the machine. Did lots better, and gave them the "Talk about THAT" look. Like them or not, you better master them !!!

I wonder how many high school coaches put together one team based on indoor tryouts, no real-game simulation and pitching machines and then get a totally different (worse) team when that team starts playing games. Probably most if not all. The good coaches know this and figure it out quickly. The bad coaches (and the ones that frustrate parents) don't realize what is happening...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
RichK. I had this happen recently. She was a pitcher and I had done some hitting lessons, with her. I tell my students not to hit off of machines. She went to the first day of tryouts and couldn't hit a thing off of the pitching machine. The coach cut her. She was no doubt a strong pitcher, but the coach never knew that.

Dec 7, 2011
I have heard that before, but I don't understand it. Why wouldn't some of those skills hitting off of a machine transfer to a game? What is it that people don't like about hitting off of the machine?

Dominant use of a pitching machine perpetuates some of the worst "poor-batting behaviors" moving up in the ranks.

It does not teach change of speeds and it does not teach going with the outside pitch. (The two things that make/break a team's batting capabilites)

Jun 18, 2010
Dominant use of a pitching machine perpetuates some of the worst "poor-batting behaviors" moving up in the ranks.

I wouldn't suggest using a pitching machine as the only hitting station. I could see some issues develop in a hitter if hitting machines were the only training method used. I do think it has its place in an overall hitting curriculum. I do not agree with the blanket condemnation of the pitching machine as a tool to use to help develop hitters.

It does not teach change of speeds and it does not teach going with the outside pitch. (The two things that make/break a team's batting capabilites)

Our single wheel jugs machine is far from a device that throws balls straight down the middle. Perhaps I got a lemon, or a gem depending on how you look at it. Last week our machine hit a girl on the hand with an inside pitch. Depending on a given ball, or the rubberized build up on the wheel, our machine is very unpredictable with the location in which the pitch is delivered. This unpredictability for us does replicate a pitcher moving the ball around the strike zone... JMO.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I wouldn't suggest using a pitching machine as the only hitting station. I could see some issues develop in a hitter if hitting machines were the only training method used. I do think it has its place in an overall hitting curriculum. I do not agree with the blanket condemnation of the pitching machine as a tool to use to help develop hitters.

Our single wheel jugs machine is far from a device that throws balls straight down the middle. Perhaps I got a lemon, or a gem depending on how you look at it. Last week our machine hit a girl on the hand with an inside pitch. Depending on a given ball, or the rubberized build up on the wheel, our machine is very unpredictable with the location in which the pitch is delivered. This unpredictability for us does replicate a pitcher moving the ball around the strike zone... JMO.

Using the machine as just one station in a rotation that also includes live pitching, I find quite helpful.

If players just jump in and hit-away, then they are not much use and can really drain a kids confidence. Especially if the person running it does not take the time to make adjustments to the set-up of the machine (high/low or too fast/slow), or feeds it too fast. Girls need to be taught how to use the machine. It is not "just to hit the crap out of balls" or take a hundred swings in the cage. It is a tool to work on your swing, physically and mentally.

We use them for bunting, bonds drill, to work on mechanics. I also constantly either move the machine to pitch outside, inside and middle--high/low (or have the players move around in the caged to make ADJUSTMENTS to be able to hit those pitches). And usually limit it to around 25 pitches. I want quality not quantity. It has the ability to be a little more consistent than live pitching when you are working on a specific thing.

It can expose some issues that you just don't see on a tee, soft toss, etc. and many times it is the same problem you see in games.

It can be a real confidence booster, especially if the player has had issues in the cage and then through some hard work at the other stations, shows improvement and learns that what she is practicing on the tee is working.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
I am with PEPPERS, Bonds drill, Bonds drill, Bonds drill. You can change speed, it takes half a cage, and transfers well to the game (Very quick hands from 18 feet). Girls learn to look where the ball is coming from and start their swing on every pitch (If they don't look at every throw as a strike, and stop if it is not, they will never catch up) I do throw in a day or two of the Jugs machine just to break things up.

Start with the tee at varrious heights and work on making good swings and it is a good warm up for them (Matrix drill)

Girls are starting high school ball and the coach uses the softie foam balls in a Jugs machine that can rise and curve (Does not simulate real pitching) and caused the girls to swat at the balls like they are playing tennis.

I would like to say thanks to the group for showing these drills to me as they really have made my daughter a great hitter.

Apr 1, 2010
I don't think it's terrible to use a machine as one part of a regular series of drills.

However, I do think it's a terrible idea to base your cut/no-cut tryout decisions off how well a girl hits off a machine. As Amy and others have pointed out, it can paint a false picture. I'm just a parent, but even I've seen plenty of girls whose performance off live pitching differed substantially (good and bad) from their performance off a machine. I've never seen a good live hitter who was unable to hit front toss. JMO.

Jan 10, 2013
awesome, this thread has been a good read. DD was invited to join a 12u tourney team for the first time so I'm sure she was already feeling the pressure...she's a little young compared to the rest of the team, but has never really struggled with contact. First practice, machine made her look silly. Using a new bat, new stride, and facing a pitching machine for the 1st time in her life may have been asking a bit much.

Here's to hoping she keeps flashing the leather before they send her home!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG