"Pitching machines", some do some don't!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I'm a AC this year again for HS team. I myself can't stand pitching machines, but HC seems to like them a lot. Here's my question, some of the best hitters on the team, can crush live pitching in games and in practice, but can't hit off a machine, to save their lives. Then some of the worse hitters can hit off the machine like superstars. Why is that and is it something that should be of any concern. I'm not worried about the girl that can't hit off the pitching machine that well, but hit well in games and practice. I'm more concerned about the girls that can't hit live pitching. The HC seem to think both live and machine are important. What do you all think?

Jun 18, 2010
Hi nano,

Where do the girls miss when they swing?

We use a pitching machine regularly. When our girls miss, it tends to be under the ball. Our Jugs machine is a single wheel type. When we have the machine set fast at around 56-60, the ball comes out with a lot of back spin (rise ball spin). I don't think those machine pitch balls with the back spin drop like they expect, thus swing under it...

We use a machine as another hitting station. We have multiple tees set up, front toss, bunting, tcb's, etc...

Remind your hitters the machine will impart rise ball spin and for the first few swings, have them hit the top half of the ball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it all comes down to timing, batter needs some time to figure the machine out.

It might take them 10 – 15 reps to figure out the machine but they should be able to figure it out. With a live pitcher it is a lot easier to get the timing down.

Jun 18, 2010
I think it all comes down to timing, batter needs some time to figure the machine out.

It might take them 10 – 15 reps to figure out the machine but they should be able to figure it out. With a live pitcher it is a lot easier to get the timing down.

Along those lines... some of it depends on how "smooth" the person is putting the balls in the machine.... I was watching DD hitting last night, and one of our Dads was feeding the machine.... he was trying a partial windmill motion, and sometimes he would hit the chute, other times it would be a miss followed by a fumbling to find the chute.... it was almost good in a way, it made the girls adjust their swing on the fly when they would stride and then get stuck waiting on the ball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is trying to switch to lefty, the coach was launching the ball without notice at her from 20’. She switched back to righty and still never had a chance. I asked her what she was doing and she said she felt better not being able to hit the ball from the right side.

Jan 25, 2011
Hi nano,

Where do the girls miss when they swing?

We use a pitching machine regularly. When our girls miss, it tends to be under the ball. Our Jugs machine is a single wheel type. When we have the machine set fast at around 56-60, the ball comes out with a lot of back spin (rise ball spin). I don't think those machine pitch balls with the back spin drop like they expect, thus swing under it...

We use a machine as another hitting station. We have multiple tees set up, front toss, bunting, tcb's, etc...

Remind your hitters the machine will impart rise ball spin and for the first few swings, have them hit the top half of the ball.
just under, we are using it indoors in gym, the balls are a light flight ball. It just seems weird that the better hitters struggle with it and some of are poor hitters seem to hit it well.

Jan 25, 2011
Front toss is OK, because feedback can be given (but only from front), but doesn't offer the intimidation factor.

Side toss is worthless.
From the front I pitch full windmill, close to 35ft away, someone that doesn't like side toss, I agree with you, I don't like side toss.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Each complements the other and if a player fails on machine or pitching it is an indication there is room for improvement. The lack of down movement in the single wheel Jugs machine comes closer to mimicking rise spin. It can serve as an indicator that a player may struggle vs. a riseball pitcher and even those they hit well in games will see benefit from improvement off the machine.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Our jugs machine sents out clean balls with about a foot of rise at 40 ft. Dirty balls will be over your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG