"Pitching machines", some do some don't!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
Our jugs machine sents out clean balls with about a foot of rise at 40 ft. Dirty balls will be over your head.

Machine for early pre-season in just getting back the mechanics.
Telling them that the machine is throwing rise balls is a great mental awareness message.
But then 6 weeks before any preseason game ya got to be converted to real pitching.
Since many can't throw riseballs keep the machine around to give them that "clash" of spins to keep them flexible.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Our local two facilities advertise their tunnels with machines for rent, I just go an e-mail, so someone is using them, a lot. Or the places would not be in business.

So, if the machines are already being used, why is there a need to spend money to advertise their availability?? BTW, front toss via windmill at moderate speed from a close distance (behind a screen) is the next best thing to live pitching IMO.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was all for the machines my first year as a CC coach. I didn't know any better and the baseball coach was laughing to himself about me and the use of the machines. When the season rolled around and we couldn't hit anything, I asked him about it. He said "Yeah, you hit off of the machine for 3 months, every day. That doesn't not transfer to a game."

I own a Jugs for outfield drills, etc. but I haven't used one for hitting for 28 years.

Jun 18, 2010
"That doesn't not transfer to a game."

I have heard that before, but I don't understand it. Why wouldn't some of those skills hitting off of a machine transfer to a game? What is it that people don't like about hitting off of the machine? I know hitting live pitching is preferable, and like I said, hitting off of the machine is just one of the many hitting stations we have, including hitting front toss thrown from behind a net.

We are currently in an indoor facility that has two batting cages, one that is about 30 feet. We use this one for the front toss. The second is about 38 feet deep, and we set the pitching machine up in that cage. We then have three tee stations, and we do some non contact swings in front of a mirror. Personally I have not noticed our girls struggling hitting off of the machine. Our season has yet to start, but we had a similar routine last year throughout the season and I don't believe the machine messed up any of the girls hitting.

May 6, 2012
Texas
We use both on our 14u team. We use the machine more just to save our pitchers from injuries since we have not bought a proper pitching net. I agree with a lot of these comments the girls just need to adjust to the machine. Over time we have stopped that problem and have girls crushing both live and machine pitches on a regular. Our had part is when we have a team that moves up and does not have a fast pitcher but the girls are starting to learn to sit on these pitchers better.

Our machine does well at being more realistic due to its age. It wil throw a low drop ball then throw 1 perfect down the middle followed by a couple high balls.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Our HS coach bought a machine last year that he can set for different pitches. It has 3 wheels and it can be adjusted to throw curve, drop, rise and screw spins. Since it's 3 wheels even the "straight" pitches dip and move. Its a humbling machine.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
When I use a machine I simulate the pitching motion. I hold ball in my left hand right at the shoot. I hold another in my right hand...when I make the full circle with my right hand I will tap the ball in my left hand into teh shoot, this helps the girls time their load and swing....rather than a ball all of sudden shooting out towards them without warning. Maybe this will help those struggling with a machine.

Oct 19, 2009
Knightsb
I have heard that before, but I don't understand it. Why wouldn't some of those skills hitting off of a machine transfer to a game? What is it that people don't like about hitting off of the machine? I know hitting live pitching is preferable, and like I said, hitting off of the machine is just one of the many hitting stations we have, including hitting front toss thrown from behind a net.

We are currently in an indoor facility that has two batting cages, one that is about 30 feet. We use this one for the front toss. The second is about 38 feet deep, and we set the pitching machine up in that cage. We then have three tee stations, and we do some non contact swings in front of a mirror. Personally I have not noticed our girls struggling hitting off of the machine. Our season has yet to start, but we had a similar routine last year throughout the season and I don't believe the machine messed up any of the girls hitting.

We have had success using the machines we make it a little more challenging by using baseballs machine balls white ones if we can find them. Then use the Bonds drill for different pitched speeds. Start out with slow speeds and as the hitter becomes more efficient increase pitch speed.

T.J.
When I use a machine I simulate the pitching motion. I hold ball in my left hand right at the shoot. I hold another in my right hand...when I make the full circle with my right hand I will tap the ball in my left hand into teh shoot, this helps the girls time their load and swing....rather than a ball all of sudden shooting out towards them without warning. Maybe this will help those struggling with a machine.

I think this one of the keys to successful use of a machine, some are better at doing this than others. My friend is as good as anyone I’ve seen at doing this even better me. :cool:

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
From my experience, the girls usually hit A LOT better off the machine than live pitching 98% of the time. Of course practicing with live pitching is the most beneficial overall, using the tee or machine helps build muscle memory while not wearing out your pitcher.

Sep 17, 2009
just under, we are using it indoors in gym, the balls are a light flight ball. It just seems weird that the better hitters struggle with it and some of are poor hitters seem to hit it well.

Hey Nano, light flight balls are another story altogether....most have responded here about machine problems and dimple balls, where the problem is really about lack of timing mechanism. For light flight balls, you can have success with a relatively weak swing that goes right to the ball and manages to hit it square. The light flight balls fly off the bat. However, those swings won't work against a real ball. Your better hitters are taking their normal swings that would be successful off a live pitch and getting fooled by late movement most likely or hitting slightly under the ball. So they aren't seeing great "light flight" results.

In my opinion, it's much the same as the risk you take using Total Control Balls. You can get great "results" with less-than-great swings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan