"Pitching machines", some do some don't!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I like machines for some bp...not all. The batters can get the timing and rhythm easier off a pitcher. A machine is good for building the quick twitch/reflex muscles. But IMO it should be a combo of front toss, machine, and a live pitcher.

Oct 19, 2009
I don't think it's terrible to use a machine as one part of a regular series of drills.

However, I do think it's a terrible idea to base your cut/no-cut tryout decisions off how well a girl hits off a machine. As Amy and others have pointed out, it can paint a false picture. I'm just a parent, but even I've seen plenty of girls whose performance off live pitching differed substantially (good and bad) from their performance off a machine. I've never seen a good live hitter who was unable to hit front toss. JMO.

Basing a decision to cut or keep a player on hitting off a machine alone is foolish and shows a coaches lack of knowledge on hitting mechanics IMO.

Using a pitching machine incorrectly can have a negative effect on a hitter, but using a pitching machine the right way can help develop a hitters skill to a higher level JMO. :D

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Basing a decision to cut or keep a player on hitting off a machine alone is foolish and shows a coaches lack of knowledge on hitting mechanics IMO.

Thankz seeing that will be easy now, lets just use 75%. If you go to a Tryout, and 75% or over .... leaving room for HCs DD & students...cant hit, I can now conclude that this Team will be cut from our consideration. Will be thankful for the free practice though. A hope that they are thankful for the p/c... & glove clinic we have provided :{))

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan