Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Internationally these things are already being done but here is a recent and local example.
Talking with an 18u so cal travel ball coach today about this topic,...
they have a pitcher on their team who pitches like example #3.
(Land Finish Pitch)
She is from Mexico and plays International ball. Feedback on this is
That is a common pitching style.

She already had several College interests and made a commitment.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
the forward push stipulation opened a can of worms. umpires arent gonna be able to tell mid-game. they should have made it something like the forward motion of the push foot can't end before the plant foot lands. much easier to spot.

about all they can do at this point is assess the pitch during warmups and hope the pitcher isn't skilled enough to fake it there and violate the rule once the game starts.

Aug 21, 2008
People seem to be focusing on
hey you went in the air and landed in a different spot that's a replant.
NO that aint so
>>>it's just Landing in a spot!

The video is communicating that merely Landing and Pitching does not mean it is a replant.

What I noticed is through all these conversations no one can point out in that video that there is a second push that is generating any further forward progress.
* the pitch is thrown from where the spot the pitcher landed.

Other than the pitch finalizing itself
* the video shows that after landing there is no forward progress of the feet/legs.
I have to respectfully disagree with the highlighted parts. We can rename things to "landing spot" but it's still what it is. She's jumping, then landing, then pitching.

I don't know how there couldn't be continued forward progress after the landing. I've never seen anyone jump, land, and not have continued progress after the pitch. It's inertia. The body continues forward after the ball is release. If you look at anybody who crowhops, there is still drag marks in the dirt after the pitch is released. Pitchers that crowhop still use "pitching toes" on their cleats because there is a drag that follows the jump and release.

If we think about what a "2nd push" would look like, wouldn't it look similar to someone doing a triple jump in track?

It's really bizarre, It's funny how we all watch the same video of the same girl and all see something different. But nobody is going to convince me there is a "2nd push" from the landing spot. I know this because I've pitched like that for the majority of my career. And I've used the same pitching rubber and pitching circle as other pitchers who've had even bigger jumps than me. I've never done it personally, and I've never seen it done where a pitcher jumps, lands, then pushes yet again before the pitch. Yet most everyone points to the current state of men's fastpitch pitchers to point out the most egregious examples of pitchers crowhopping.

Aug 21, 2008
I just can't help but think she'll be joining Jordy Bahl in the P.T. center.
Interesting, why would you think that? Jordy has pretty much had the same wind-up since she was 10u. What happened to her was a complete fluke and isolated incident. I don't think this is going to lead to an epidemic of ACL injuries, it certainly never happened in men's fastpitch. I don't know of anyone who hurt the ACL in a similar way to Jordy. In fact, Jordy's injury was to her left knee. So, for the moment, lets assume Jordy is a crow hopper (there's debate whether she does it or not but lets assume she does). Pitchers that crow hop land on the back foot and an argument could be made that it should be the back knee (right leg for a RHP) takes the brunt of the impact when jumping and that's the one that should be injured. So, doesn't it seem odd that it was the stride leg that was injured when that leg would have less impact then the landing leg?

(By the way, for anyone keeping track, it's my understanding that they did a bigger procedure on her than expected. Initially I think she was only going to get it scoped but they ended up doing a rebuild while they had her on the table.) Either way she was out for the year so they just decided to fix it.

Sep 13, 2021
Putting aside the question of legal vs. illegal, if a pitcher who uses a conventional motion changes to align her motion to the outer edge of the new rule, does that likely elevate her from mediocre to average, average to good, good to great or great to immortal? And, if so, how? I get that the "leap" shortens the distance between release point and batter, but aren't there leakages in leverage and timing that would tend to reduce or negate that advantage?

May 13, 2023
We can rename things to "landing spot" but it's still what it is. She's jumping, then landing, then pitching.
That's right she's landing and finishing her pitch. ( the pitch she started when leaving the rubber)
That is her landing spot releasing the pitch.
* It is not renaming it.
* It is a way to describe the situation.

Because~
There is no forward progress beyond that.
(as to relocating)
That is the spot she is releasing the pitch from!

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
. I don't think this is going to lead to an epidemic of ACL injuries, it certainly never happened in men's fastpitch.
Bill, here's an interesting article as to why you didn't see it in the men's fastpitch game, but why it might happen more frequently in the women's game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad