Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The hands uncocking would be release. It is an unloading of the barrel. It would be a reaction to the load.

Lag would be barrel still loaded... not being loaded.

This all can be found and learned with the Ryan Braun drill.

He speaks of his bat path, his attack angles. At the same time his hands are articulating the handle to release points to create a short to long through path.

So what is the barrel being loaded with and how is that being released? As I stated in my previous post, the bat is inanimate and incapable of storing energy. So what is being "loaded" and how is it being "unloaded". Is the barrel where these so called "magic beans" are stored that you keep talking about? (Sorry, couldn't resist...:))

Note: I agree the hands go through various articulations throughout the swing, but most of them are simply pass through positions that happen naturally as a result of good mechanics. Also, I like the Braun drill and use it often. But probably for different reasons then you. I find it to be a great way to focus on "short to/long through" or swinging "out from" as some would call it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So what is the barrel being loaded with and how is that being released? As I stated in my previous post, the bat is inanimate and incapable of storing energy. So what is being "loaded" and how is it being "unloaded". Is the barrel where these so called "magic beans" are stored that you keep talking about? (Sorry, couldn't resist...:))

Note: I agree the hands go through various articulations throughout the swing, but most of them are simply pass through positions that happen naturally as a result of good mechanics. Also, I like the Braun drill and use it often. But probably for different reasons then you. I find it to be a great way to focus on "short to/long through" or swinging "out from" as some would call it.

The core pulls the whole thang FP. The scap pulls the hands, the hands pull the bat. It kinetic. If you want me to get scientific. Not gonna happen. ;) can’t speak of what I don’t know.

The barrel doesnt bend. The wrists do. The barrel travels in straight lines mostly . It’s lagged and released. But it does GET pulled so call it ‘loaded’ or whatever you like. No magic beans to speak of.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The core pulls the whole thang FP. The scap pulls the hands, the hands pull the bat. It kinetic. If you want me to get scientific. Not gonna happen. ;) can’t speak of what I don’t know.

The barrel doesnt bend. The wrists do. The barrel travels in straight lines mostly . It’s lagged and released. But it does GET pulled so call it ‘loaded’ or whatever you like. No magic beans to speak of.

Now you are making more sense... Correct, "the barrel does not band. The wrists do." It's impossible to "load" or "unload" a barrel unless you are using those terms with a different definition then I am aware of. I suppose it would be possible to "load" and "unload" the wrists, so that at least makes sense. But the muscles of the wrist are so small compared to the other muscles that we are talking about, that their impact on the kinetic chain are miniscule. It's not much different from throwing mechanics. The bending of the wrist doesn't cause the process. The process causes the bending of the wrist.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Now you are making more sense... Correct, "the barrel does not band. The wrists do." It's impossible to "load" or "unload" a barrel unless you are using those terms with a different definition then I am aware of. I suppose it would be possible to "load" and "unload" the wrists, so that at least makes sense. But the muscles of the wrist are so small compared to the other muscles that we are talking about, that their impact on the kinetic chain are miniscule. It's not much different from throwing mechanics. The bending of the wrist doesn't cause the process. The process causes the bending of the wrist.

It’s not impossible. I can load a rock in a slingshot. Good example?

The swing happens on the right side of the body correct for a rhh? So a slingshot sounds about right correct?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don’t mind the ‘throw’ description. But I do unless trained with a swing path that shows its really not a throw type action. It’s like swinging a hammer or an axe.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s not impossible. I can load a rock in a slingshot. Good example?

The swing happens on the right side of the body correct for a rhh? So a slingshot sounds about right correct?

In the slingshot example, to me it's the slingshot itself that gets loaded and unloaded. The rock is merely an instrument that is placed in side. Much like the swing. It isn't the bat that is being loaded. The bat is merely the instrument being used. To me, loading is more about power generation than anything else. I'm not interested in loading the bat or my hands for that matter. If you stated that the core was loaded. Or that the obliques were loaded. Or that the rear hip/leg was loaded, that would make more sense to me.

But if your analogy works for you, who am I to argue. As a person that studies the greats and what they say, I'm sure you have noticed that many use different descriptions. We can take their words and try to understand them in ways that make sense to each of us, but they each have their own variations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06