Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Okay, I think I understand. So "barrel load" is a position of "barrel lag". I guess the part I am struggling with is that the barrel is an inanimate object. It doesn't bend or flex (well perhaps upon impact if you consider the trampoline effect that some bat manufactures talk about...). It doesn't have the ability to store energy in any measurable way. I can understand how muscles can store energy. It's obvious you have followed Chappy quite a bit... One of his favorite topics is "SSC", and I really have no issue with that as a way of storing/utilizing energy. I am fine with the principles of fascial and myofascial anatomy if you want to get involved with Anatomy Trains. To a certain extent I can even understand how a towel or a whip can become "loaded" (your examples) because there is a bend/flex in those items that actually become part of the kinetic chain (well, sort of...). And while I can understand how one can visualize the bat as an extension of the bottom arm, and therefore part of the kinetic chain as well, it seems to me as though you are stating that the "wrists" become loaded more so than the barrel itself ("top hand getting cocked"). If that's the case, then my next question would be... How does that top hand become uncocked? Is it a muscular action that is occurring at a specific point of the swing, where you are actually forcing the wrists to bend in various ways? Or instead of "bending that wrist", is it more a case of "the wrist is being bent" by other actions that are occurring at the same time? Essentially, what I am asking is this... Is the cocking/uncocking of the top hand an action or a reaction?

Apr 12, 2016
I am trying to load my hands. How do I load my hands? What should my hands feel like when I load them?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Okay, I think I understand. So "barrel load" is a position of "barrel lag". I guess the part I am struggling with is that the barrel is an inanimate object. It doesn't bend or flex (well perhaps upon impact if you consider the trampoline effect that some bat manufactures talk about...). It doesn't have the ability to store energy in any measurable way. I can understand how muscles can store energy. It's obvious you have followed Chappy quite a bit... One of his favorite topics is "SSC", and I really have no issue with that as a way of storing/utilizing energy. I am fine with the principles of fascial and myofascial anatomy if you want to get involved with Anatomy Trains. To a certain extent I can even understand how a towel or a whip can become "loaded" (your examples) because there is a bend/flex in those items that actually become part of the kinetic chain (well, sort of...). And while I can understand how one can visualize the bat as an extension of the bottom arm, and therefore part of the kinetic chain as well, it seems to me as though you are stating that the "wrists" become loaded more so than the barrel itself ("top hand getting cocked"). If that's the case, then my next question would be... How does that top hand become uncocked? Is it a muscular action that is occurring at a specific point of the swing, where you are actually forcing the wrists to bend in various ways? Or instead of "bending that wrist", is it more a case of "the wrist is being bent" by other actions that are occurring at the same time? Essentially, what I am asking is this... Is the cocking/uncocking of the top hand an action or a reaction?

The hands uncocking would be release. It is an unloading of the barrel. It would be a reaction to the load.

Lag would be barrel still loaded... not being loaded.

This all can be found and learned with the Ryan Braun drill.

He speaks of his bat path, his attack angles. At the same time his hands are articulating the handle to release points to create a short to long through path.

Nov 16, 2017
The hands uncocking would be release. It is an unloading of the barrel. It would be a reaction to the load.

Lag would be barrel still loaded... not being loaded.

This all can be found and learned with the Ryan Braun drill.

He speaks of his bat path, his attack angles. At the same time his hands are articulating the handle to release points to create a short to long through path.

Interesting here. Looks like the swing down, the create backspin by hitting the bottom of the ball is not what he thought it was.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Interesting here. Looks like the swing down, the create backspin by hitting the bottom of the ball is not what he thought it was.

The video I posted was published after his MVP season. So umm yeah 😎. Maybe after being in the bigs for 12 years he isn’t what he used to be and is looking for some magic beans? Hmm.

Either way it’s not swing down it’s knob down to above the ball to a release point inside the ball.

Lastly. Braun didn’t even say what he changed! LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad