Is pitching coming to this? Part 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Yes that is exactly what pitching is becoming. You see it at all levels of Travel Ball and in High School as well. I go to a lot of games in IL and some umps will call an illegal pitch once then that is it, so it does nothing. If these pitchers were made to pitch by the rules they wouldn't be nearly as good or as effective. Not all of them are good, but once they reach a certain age it is almost impossible to fix. They just need to change the rules or enforce them is my opinion. But that won't happen so it will just continue. Cheaters will always be cheaters.

Jun 12, 2015
Wow. Both of them clearly had their foot leave the ground. Do they never call out illegal pitches even at this level? My 8 year old has only been pitching about 6 months but even she knows you don't leap, you drag your toe. She watches college games a lot and critiques the pitchers; she's noticed this same thing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree that the rule should be changed.

With two umpires only two umpires on the field for most games, it is almost impossible to get consistent enforcement of the rules

Jul 6, 2013
But it shouldn't matter, right? I read right here on this forum that this gave the girl no advantage at all, and in fact, made her less effective. Not that I agree with it, but I did read it on the Internet.

I guess it is a regional thing. I've only seen one girl pitching like this in the past couple years around here. She got called on so many illegal pitches at the state tournament they had to pull her out. She couldn't fix it, which tells me she had been doing it a while.

Jun 1, 2013
The replant and push 3' closer to the plate is the problem, not the foot drag. I could care less if they drag or not because that doesn't give an advantage. The re-plant and push closer to the plate does.

Jul 6, 2013
I agree, and the thread I am talking about described this exact things happening. Leap and replant.

Dec 27, 2014
I was thinking about this style a few weekends ago at a tourney. I call them side kickers. When the "drag" foot lands it kicks to the side. Some kids, the foot lands and then kicks out at a faster speed, kicking up dust. Looks a lot like these vids with the replanting.

Same tourney, a coach came up to me after watching DD warm up with 9,12 oclock with ball to the sky. Told me DD was doing it wrong and just wanted to help her out. His DD is a very good pitcher and her PC, who won something in 1984, does not teach this. Mostly HE and also this kick out style. DD is mostly influenced by Hillhouse and PC who strive for as straight, and light, of toe drag as possible. Just curious about this style and what the benefit is as I do see it a lot?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I just watched this game last night (had it dvr'd) the announcers were bragging her up saying how she was one of the best in the state?.... I thought her mechanics were lacking quite a bit! She had good innings 1-5, but fell apart in the 6th and 7th... somehow managed a w though. congrats to them

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207