Interesting ruling what's correct?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Playing HS Varsity. Batter hits a deep fly ball to CF, BR thinking she was out, jogs and stops, then starts to return to the plate. Meanwhile, the CF drops the ball. People start yelling and the BR now runs to 1B.

Coach calls time and discusses the issue with HP, Plate ump goes out and discusses with field ump. They both come back and field ump states that because a defender isn't in a position to tag her out the play stands.

Is that correct?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Well, it's correct that she is not out, but I am failing to understand why a defender in position to tag her has any relevance whatsoever.....:confused:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Because you can't retreat between home and first to avoid a tag (at least under some rule sets, don't know specifically re NFHS)

Jun 22, 2008
Same for NFHS, but nothing in the play presented says anything about a fielder anywhere near the batter/runner having the ball and attempting a tag.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Same for NFHS, but nothing in the play presented says anything about a fielder anywhere near the batter/runner having the ball and attempting a tag.

True, but its not hard to figure out how some might only be aware of the 'can't retreat' part and unfamiliar with the exact circumstances that it applies. Just the same as everyone knows when DTS is applicable.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
I assume it's relevant because you're not allowed to run outside the base line to avoid a tag. Since there was no tag to avoid, it's legal?

Jun 22, 2008
That would be basepath to avoid a tag, not baseline. And again, nothing in the description of the play indicates the ball was anywhere near first base so not sure what the umpire said anything about a fielder being in position to make a tag.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
"Coach calls time and discusses the issue with HP..."

I take it you mean the defensive coach, since the offensive coach would probably be happy with the results of this play. My guess would be that the defensive coach was lobbying for an out for either "being out of the baseline" or "retreating toward home plate".

Neither of those rules were violated. The reason they weren't is because both rules require a fielder, with the ball, trying to make a tag. Which means that the umpire's explanation makes perfect sense.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Thanks.. I take it the defensive coach was trying to get the out for retreating. I was just a spectator but I didn't know the answer, hence why I asked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA