Insider Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If this kid uses 'poor mechanics' like Manny and Pujols, then I think he'll turn out just fine.

2mn3cxh.jpg

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
The only way I can think of making a product like the IB possibly work (not definitely work) is by hitting off of a tee. That way you can place the tee in a position (probably very deep in the strike zone) that forces them to do the right thing.

As FFS's clip shows, if you use the IB to hit front toss or side toss, then you are allowed, if not forced, to use poor mechanics to yield good results.

Hitters should regularly be working to let the ball travel deep into the zone. You do not need a stationary ball to train this. If the player is early, then that needs to be fixed regardless of the bat being used. Again, this is why I consider your argument against the device to be a "strawman." (A phantom strawman at that.)

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
Here is one of our mainstays for using the IB:

YouTube - MNIce29's Channel

I like side toss because I have control over where she will contact the ball (inside, outside, up, low ...)
We work the ball very deep, as far as the back pocket, so she gets in the habit of get on the plane of the pitch early.

Judge for yourself if it is worthwhile (works), and tune out those who have no experience with the device.

I would post the video directly, but they are mp4s and I can't.

BD

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I lost my voice do to pollen/allergies and today is the 4th day without, otherwise I'd have a video up already. I'll get on it as soon as my voice comes back. If anybody has specific questions about the IB, please let me know and I'll address it specifically.

Oct 12, 2009
He uses the Insider Bat. Can't wait for somebody to screen capture his swing and point out all the flaws. =)

If you ever work with some (high-level) clients, you will quickly see what I mean.

Push disconnection is the single biggest problem I see in my pro clients.

Oct 12, 2009
CO, would you consider this to be a disconnected swing?

kef5vp.gif

No.

But, he's certainly not pushing his hands forward.

P.S. And what he is doing and what the kid are doing are two completely different things. For instance, compare the back elbow angles. There is also a major sequencing differences.

InsiderBat.gif

I know this may seem like a minor difference to you, but at the higher levels of baseball and softball, minor differences in technique make a huge difference in terms of results.

What's more, this isn't even a minor difference.

Last edited: