I/R vs. HE injuries

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I had HE explained to me at a lesson with a prominent pitching coach that described the stress it creates to the pitching arm shoulder and elbow. Made sense and I still believe that.

Burying myself into learning I/R has me wondering if that stress is now placed on the hips instead of the shoulder/elbow. From what I understand and could very well be wrong about, it seems that in the need to create FSR, we have shifted the entire weight of the pitchers body onto one hip joint in an effort to create energy for a whip.

Are we going to start seeing more lower body/hip injuries over the years instead of shoulder/elbow problems?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
This actually makes sense to me. It explains how I injured my back last week. I injured it by reading an OILF post.

Life is so much less complicated when you simply tie things you don't like to negative outcomes at random. I can't wait to tell my girls that if they don't keep their rooms clean then one of members of one direction will die in a freak lawn mowing accident.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
A shoulder was torn up on a pitcher who moves about 8 inches back (legal in HS) and 6 inches forward off the rubber, for over a foot of to-fro lateral movement. I have another gym stepper whose glove shoulder was bothering her to the point she could not pitch....she stepped back and forward the same, but also used a JF glove swing. That is two injuries, so to me that means asking our pitchers to change.

It was a long time ago so I understand how you forgot that you tied pre motions to shoulder injury and also tied gym stepping to shoulder injury.

I can buy that an exaggerated back swing can over stress a shoulder but the rest his hogwash.

I don't have any real world examples. My gym stepping/brush interfering daughter has yet to injure her shoulder or break her forearm.

I do think both may be the actual culprit for global warming though.

Jul 14, 2008
I have to step in here and WARN people about injuries directly related to utilizing Internal Rotation to throw a softball underhand.........Because they are much more common then you know...........

I/R pitchers are prone to injury BECAUSE OF OVERUSE.........Because they throw SO MUCH BETTER/HARDER then H/E pitchers.........So they are often overused because of it..........

Carry on...........

Oh yes, and though I don't post much in the summer/fall months because of how busy I am with Softball AND GOLF, doesn't mean I don't read the board at least once a day...........

And Screwball........Oh I mean OILF..........Seems to be going the opposite direction as most who read this board with it's knowledge base of posters...........

She is acting dumber, while the rest of us are getting smarter...........Which is at least increasing her comedic value...........Although the male-bashing gets kinda old...........:cool:

NOW carry on........:D

Oh and Ray, nice job/explanations in the Classroom thread........Although I'd still argue with you about the percentage of importance I/R plays in the role of a top level pitcher.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez