How to Demonstrate Torque

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
There is a force by the front leg that contributes to the hip thrust prior to the front leg blocking.

You're going to have to explain that one better. I don't follow you. Contributes to which hip thrust, and when? How can the front leg do anything before it gets weighted, which is when my definition of block occurs. Maybe yours is different.

Oct 25, 2009
You're going to have to explain that one better. I don't follow you. Contributes to which hip thrust, and when? How can the front leg do anything before it gets weighted, which is when my definition of block occurs. Maybe yours is different.

Do the swing and focus your attention on the front leg (inner front thigh in particular). Feel what the muscles are doing. Feel the front knee help propel the hips before the knee straightens and blocks the forward momentum.

May 16, 2010
Do the swing and focus your attention on the front leg (inner front thigh in particular). Feel what the muscles are doing. Feel the front knee help propel the hips before the knee straightens and blocks the forward momentum.

Yeah, I agree, but that's the block. The "push" of push-block-push is the straightening of the knee. The "block" is the bent knee being firm after weight is on the foot. The hips instantly start to rotate when the front foot gets weighted, because it has blocked the forward momentum and turned it into angular. Yes, the hips turn before the leg straightens. The leg straightening finishes off the rotation. In fact, the rear leg push actually starts the rotation, it continues through heel plant, and finishes with the leg straightening.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
JB ... I'm wondering if Phreak may be suggesting that the front femur externally rotates just ahead of the rear hip reversing direction going into 'front foot down'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard