How to Demonstrate Torque

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2011
So, for those who agree that one important component to a powerful swing is the torque generated when the back hip initiates the swing and the hands and the bat follow (bat lag) , does anyone have a good analogy for that type of torque? Maybe a way to explain it or demonstrate it other than swinging a bat or even a human movement?

May 16, 2010
So, for those who agree that one important component to a powerful swing is the torque generated when the back hip initiates the swing and the hands and the bat follow (bat lag) , does anyone have a good analogy for that type of torque? Maybe a way to explain it or demonstrate it other than swinging a bat or even a human movement?

It's like shooting a rubber band. You stretch it and let it go.

When you hold your shoulders in line, and turn the hips, the internal and external obliques on your front side stretch. Once they've stretched as far as they can, they contract and pull the rib cage back in line with hips.

Look at the stretch in his front side, from hip to shoulder.

ramirezhips.gif

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX

I use the analogy of a bull-whip. Everything uncoils into an explosive conclusion.

May 22, 2011
does anyone here teach the lead hip pulls instead of the back hip pushing the swing, wich seems to create more stretch from the start of the swing?

R

RayR

I communicate as you are twisted up and your body is waiting to untwist.

Wannahit, IMO - lead hips does not pull....and your rear hip does not push....your legs turn the hips...your torso provides the stretch by keeping your front shoulder down and in...your hands/wrists turn the barrel as throw from the inside....and direct the barrel to the ball

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
...does anyone have a good analogy for that type of torque? Maybe a way to explain it or demonstrate it other than swinging a bat or even a human movement?

IMO...I think it would have to be some type of vertical spring loaded object, where the spring itself is the trunk fo teh hitter's body and the torque is created with the rotational twisting of the spring. You could turn a mousetrap on it's side, torque is created when you pull the trap-bar back. There are also some spring loaded hinges that force a door shut every time you open it, (typically industrial doors). I'm sure you could pick one up at a local home builders supply store. Turn the hinge on its end...pull one side of the hinge back and watch it whip bak shut when you release it...there's your torque or "stored up" power.

The best example though is with that old marble baseball game where there is a fixed bat at home plate. you pull the bat back, (which twists a small vertical spring) and when you let the bat go it whips bak and hits the marble (baseball)

cbp.jpg

I might be off base here, but I hope this is what you're asking about.

Thanks,

T

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
explanation-wise, the spine engine flow of positions to set up and execute a sequence of motions enhanced by SSC's (stretch shortening cycles/enhancing of soft tissue elastic properties) is the best model I have seen detailed most by Miyahira for golf:

Deatails of stretch and fire based on:

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2011-04-whats-a-hip-turn-part-2.html

Miyahira:The major muscles of the spine engine are multi-planar and much more complex than your bicep! This is because the hip joint is a ball and socket type of joint (synovial) that has a large amount of three dimensional movement available and the muscles’ positioning on the pelvic bone, spine and femur affect how the muscle will move.

The key is using these muscles correctly to create the correct motion in one plane while creating a stretch in another plane of motion to fire once again.

For example, during the squat move, the firing of the anterior fibers of the gluteus maximus produces external rotation of the hip while the posterior fibers are being stretched to create a SSC for the hip extension later in the downswing.

Also, the superior (upper) fibers of the gluteus maximus aid in AB in early downswing while stretching the inferior (lower) fibers of the gluteus maximus in ADD that are being stretched to generate a SSC for the hip adduction later in the downswing.

Notice that the gluteus medius and minimus can be used for ER or IR depending upon whether the anterior (front) or posterior (back) fibers are primarily used.

Luckily some muscles are can aid in two motions that occur at the same time in the golf swing. For example, the iliacus and psoas major can cause flexion of the hip and aid in external rotation at the same time.

Thus, the human body is an extremely complex machine with many different combinations of movements possible. We shall look at the legendary swing in great detail as well as some less than optimal movements.

+++++++++

Simple metaphor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNvi1kdo4Wg

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
JB said:

Look at the stretch in his front side, from hip to shoulder.

For HLBB pattern, also look at rear side stretch which is a more important feel for this pattern:

http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums...jols-Albert-2011-Behind-GRD-RFL-Load-Loop.gif

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/images/PujolsStretch.gif

''''''''''''''''''''''

not front hip pull or rear hip push, but instead:

rear hip pull.

He asked for an analogy Tom.

Analogy -
a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.

I said the stretch was like a rubber band, stretching and contracting. That's an analogy.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish