How to Demonstrate Torque

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
i guess i am just used to terms like ted w would use that the hips would lead, not being specific in what muscles are creating the movement of the hip area, just like the term swivel your hips, your not being specific but you get the idea. what i believe is you should drive the hips with you legs, glultes,and whatever else muscle in your leg can help create power, and whatever muscle on the front or side of the hip girdle attaching to the torso that can help generate speed and power should be used.

R

RayR

No one is saying your hips don't wind and then unwind first....but if you watch Ted's legs - they are very instrumental in turning the hips....when you turn the hips by turning the hips - your front hip blows out and back....

tedbp1.gif

tedw3.gif

tedw5.gif

Oct 25, 2009
The very brief feeling of the rear foot walking off the heel is the first feel. The hip almost instantly takes over, thrusting the hip toward the point of contact. The feel of the hip thrusting/rotating (not spinning) is what the batter feels, not the legs pushing the hips. The rear foot becomes almost weightless, almost instantly.

May 16, 2010
what i believe is you should drive the hips with you legs, glutes,and whatever else muscle in your leg can help create power, and whatever muscle on the front or side of the hip girdle attaching to the torso that can help generate speed and power should be used.

That would be correct.

May 16, 2010
The feel of the hip thrusting/rotating (not spinning) is what the batter feels, not the legs pushing the hips.

Could you help me understand what you're describing here?

What is the difference that you mean, between thrusting/rotating and spinning?

And, how can you thrust your hip, without pushing with the leg? The leg IS what causes the thrust.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
"leg" = femur
"hip" = femur ball and hip socket
"pelvis" = fused bones including sockets and connection to lower spine.

"spine engine" "thrust" is via muscle actions efficiently produced by optimizing SSC's (stretch shorten cycles) and soft tissue elastic properties.

fearsome foursome in golf:

dual

LEG extension
HIP extension
HIP internal rotation
HIP aDduction

What's a Hip Turn? Part 2 :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

Power Phase of the Downswing: The Fearsome Foursome

Miyahira: After powering to the squat position, the actions in the left and right side are slightly different in timing but other than that they are remarkably symmetrical. This should make sense since, if the intended outcome is rotational speed and movement, the actions would show intuitive ways the legends swung to create force coupling or push-pull movements in their lower bodies.

Oct 25, 2009
Could you help me understand what you're describing here?

What is the difference that you mean, between thrusting/rotating and spinning?

And, how can you thrust your hip, without pushing with the leg? The leg IS what causes the thrust.

As you thrust your hip toward the point of contact there is a slight linear movement of the hips before the hips start to rotate; as opposed to no linear movement when the hips spin instead.

The hip thrust is partially initiated with a push from the rear foot; then the rear foot becomes essentially weightless, not involved. The leg that is actually contributing the greatest force at this point is the front leg at the same time the hip muscles (glutes?) thrust.

May 16, 2010
As you thrust your hip toward the point of contact there is a slight linear movement of the hips before the hips start to rotate; as opposed to no linear movement when the hips spin instead.

The hip thrust is partially initiated with a push from the rear foot; then the rear foot becomes essentially weightless, not involved. The leg that is actually contributing the greatest force at this point is the front leg at the same time the hip muscles (glutes?) thrust.

OK, now I understand you better, since this is the "technical" forum, let's clarify a couple of things.

You may feel the thrust from pressure on your back foot, and there is; but the pressure is put there from the REAR glutes, manipulating the rear leg in such a way that it pushes/thrusts the hip into motion. It's easy to say push off the back foot, but there's a right way and a wrong way that a student can push off the back foot. It isn't a push by using the calf muscles, or a push from straightening the back leg with quad muscles. You push off the back foot, using your butt muscles. The glutes.

After you push from the back; a pressure equivalent to 123% of your body weight, gets pushed onto the front foot. So, when you say the front leg is contributing force, that is not technically correct. It is accepting and transferring a great force. The glutes in the front leg get used along with the quads. Whereas, the back leg push should not be using the quads (thigh muscles.)

As Tom G stated;

"leg" = femur
"hip" = femur ball and hip socket (at the bottom of the pelvis)

My statement:
The legs push on the hip and move the pelvis.

As Dr. Yeager describes: "Push - block - push"
The back leg pushes the back hip, the front leg blocks any forward momentum by pushing into the front hip, and rotation occurs as a result of each.

Oct 25, 2009
OK, now I understand you better, since this is the "technical" forum, let's clarify a couple of things.

You may feel the thrust from pressure on your back foot, and there is; but the pressure is put there from the REAR glutes, manipulating the rear leg in such a way that it pushes/thrusts the hip into motion. It's easy to say push off the back foot, but there's a right way and a wrong way that a student can push off the back foot. It isn't a push by using the calf muscles, or a push from straightening the back leg with quad muscles. You push off the back foot, using your butt muscles. The glutes.

After you push from the back; a pressure equivalent to 123% of your body weight, gets pushed onto the front foot. So, when you say the front leg is contributing force, that is not technically correct. It is accepting and transferring a great force. The glutes in the front leg get used along with the quads. Whereas, the back leg push should not be using the quads (thigh muscles.)

As Tom G stated;

"leg" = femur
"hip" = femur ball and hip socket (at the bottom of the pelvis)

My statement:
The legs push on the hip and move the pelvis.

As Dr. Yeager describes: "Push - block - push"
The back leg pushes the back hip, the front leg blocks any forward momentum by pushing into the front hip, and rotation occurs as a result of each.

There is a force by the front leg that contributes to the hip thrust prior to the front leg blocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red