How much support for a Like & Dislike button on here?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am against any sort of like / dislike button. I like the thanks feature as it gives me an option to simply agree with someone or to actually thank them for their post.

I am a member on a forum that has very little rules as to what you can and can't say to each other. It literally has 2 rules, no calling anyone a pedophile and no "outing" someone with their actual name. Its not nearly as wild as it sounds but it can get intense, its fairly self regulated as anyone who says something about you, generally expects you to say something not kind back. The regulars self police the place.

They put in a positive and negative button and within a week they took it down because people were being asses to one another with it. In a forum where being an rear is allowed in print, there was no way to defend against someone just clicking the button to be a jerk. Don't think its a good idea.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
They put in a positive and negative button and within a week they took it down because people were being asses to one another with it. In a forum where being an rear is allowed in print, there was no way to defend against someone just clicking the button to be a jerk. Don't think its a good idea

This might sound stupid, but I am starting to see more your side of it a little better. I always get a little steamed everytime a thread gets locked down... I have never been on the other Fastpitch sites, just Photoshop, and Health ones. There is 0 rudeness. I have private groups in FB. If someone don't like what I put in my groups, or on my regular FB page, I just unfriend them, or they leave. I have family members upset about it, but DD has has had one for 4 yrs without incident. They don't have dislike button either. I guess I'm just getting tired of taking so much time with something, and one person breaking the rules to begin with and then get the thing locked. I think they should kick them off.Today it got shut down before I got to answer, I didn't get the last word....

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
This might sound stupid, but I am starting to see more your side of it a little better. I always get a little steamed everytime a thread gets locked down... I have never been on the other Fastpitch sites, just Photoshop, and Health ones. There is 0 rudeness. I have private groups in FB. If someone don't like what I put in my groups, or on my regular FB page, I just unfriend them, or they leave. I have family members upset about it, but DD has has had one for 4 yrs without incident. They don't have dislike button either. I guess I'm just getting tired of taking so much time with something, and one person breaking the rules to begin with and then get the thing locked. I think they should kick them off.Today it got shut down before I got to answer, I didn't get the last word....

No Comment

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I've been here for 2 years and with some 1500 posts its obvious I participate on a regular basis. I don't think 1 in 1000 threads get shut down.

Even in the technical hitting forum which can go from Great Taste, Less Filling to Linear, Rotational in a snap of a finger, I don't think you will find many locked threads.

I just don't see it as an issue.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've been here for 2 years and with some 1500 posts its obvious I participate on a regular basis. I don't think 1 in 1000 threads get shut down.

Even in the technical hitting forum which can go from Great Taste, Less Filling to Linear, Rotational in a snap of a finger, I don't think you will find many locked threads.

I just don't see it as an issue.

And it usually correlates to dry periods on some of the other hitting sites and then its lets go bash FP time.

FWIW - I don't like posts incorporating discussions of on-going threads or topics on other sites, I think it actually causes some of the discord we see here; I prefer self-contained discussions and can visit and frequent other sites if and as I choose.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We are all "guests" on this site. You act with the same respect on here as you would being a guest at someone's home. When someone is the host you bite your tongue, leave, or choose to find a common ground to continue the relationship.

Do I agree with the moderators all the time, no. Do I think they do a great job of keeping things civil and promote a great place to discuss this game, absolutely YES.

Have I stuck my foot in my mouth here, yes. But hopefully we move beyond that in a day or two and continue to Discuss Fastpitch.

I think most of the negativity is the same as the negativity after a long season of ball. Tempers flare, people's egos get stepped on, teammates are on edge. If you look it's all along the same time line, coincidence? I've noticed this forum is at its best from December to February. I think the time off makes us eager to hit the fields and also gives us time to cool off from all the pressures of the game.

Each one of you, despite our differences, keep me coming back each day. A good group of folks on here.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd