How far do you drive?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2023
We have an 11yr old pitcher who has seen the same local pitching coach for 2+ years. She is extremely tall and powerful for her age and is hitting some impressive speed #s and that seems like all her pitching coach is focusing on. So long story short, we had some free time over the summer and chose to see a new pitching coach who my daughter follows on social media and after her lesson, told me she learned more in those 2 hours than the past 2 years.
SO now of course the dilemma is that she wants to continue seeing this new coach, however the facility is almost 3 hours away. So I'm just looking for some advice.. what would you do? She's used to weekly pitching lessons but I just can't come to terms with driving that far every week. 1-2x/month at most. At this age (11) is that going to be enough with regular practices at home? And how do we tell her former coach that we are moving on?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
We have an 11yr old pitcher who has seen the same local pitching coach for 2+ years. She is extremely tall and powerful for her age and is hitting some impressive speed #s and that seems like all her pitching coach is focusing on. So long story short, we had some free time over the summer and chose to see a new pitching coach who my daughter follows on social media and after her lesson, told me she learned more in those 2 hours than the past 2 years.
SO now of course the dilemma is that she wants to continue seeing this new coach, however the facility is almost 3 hours away. So I'm just looking for some advice.. what would you do? She's used to weekly pitching lessons but I just can't come to terms with driving that far every week. 1-2x/month at most. At this age (11) is that going to be enough with regular practices at home? And how do we tell her former coach that we are moving on?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Know of multiple pitchers and students of the game that will drive 2 hours both ways for weekly lessons. Finding the right fit, worth the drive.

Two times a month can work.
Ask instructor about alternating week video feedback.
( pending particular mechanical changes would not suggest once a month at this time)

Can say to Old instructor thank you for all you have done. We are going to see what else we can learn.

Jun 8, 2016
Know of multiple pitchers and students of the game that will drive 2 hours both ways for weekly lessons. Finding the right fit, worth the drive.

Two times a month can work.
Ask instructor about alternating week video feedback.
( pending particular mechanical changes would not suggest once a month at this time)

Can say to Old instructor thank you for all you have done. We are going to see what else we can learn.
We’ve been doing every other week hitting lessons. If you work at home like you should then it can work.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
10 minutes. Very fortunate to have one of the top pitching instructors in the country right down the road.

8pm lesson tonight. We will leave the house about 7:30pm

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
30-45 minutes for either pitching or hitting. Being on Long Island, we're restricted from going much further. If I had to drive through Mos Eisley Spaceport, AKA, NYC, for every lesson, I'd shoot myself.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Would ask if you could ZOOM lesson or even talk to current instructor about what she has been learning. She what she/he says. Maybe a chance the instructor learns something?

Sep 9, 2019
A good well meaning instructor will know and recommend someone closer if asked. You could see the other weekly and the long drive monthly.

Sep 13, 2021
Maybe the new coach is the best thing since sliced bread, but maybe your daughter is also reacting to "new," in terms of the person, the content and the approach, all of which can be very refreshing after seeing the same person and doing the same thing for 2+ years. It may be worth checking out other coaches in a tighter radius than 3 hours to level set.

Experienced coaches are used to seeing students move on. I'd be up front. That approach has worked best for us.

Jan 25, 2022
45 minutes each way when we went.

The real question is, which one of them teaches internal rotation with arm whip?? Old coach, new coach, both, or neither?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles