High school softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I knew it!!! I picked ND instead of Montana or some other remote state.
Y’know…. Rachel Lawson is from Montana…..

Maybe you could go with some U.S. Territories? It doesn’t seem like there would be much softball in the Northern Mariana Islands.

(I’m going to eat my hat if there is a Micronesia Platinum Elite.)

Jul 31, 2015
Maybe. But there's a lot of questions I have about the girl in the story. If she truly got recruited off her HS games, I'd absolutely stand corrected and say this is the exception that proves the rule. If she went to camps and had other ways of getting these coach's attention, I'd say this story doesn't tell the whole thing.

Gang, I'm not bashing HS softball. I believe it has it's place and it's purpose. But I am saying the OVERWHELMING majority of schools don't ask, care, or are concerned about HS stats.

agree.
OP was giving facts that argued against his original case. Was just pointing that out.

HS ball is fun time. Friends. School logo. Limited travel. Low cost. Compete against your TB teammates.
What's not to like?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I was recruited through playing travel ball. But I played high school ball as a way to have fun and get ready for travel season. But, I'd be remissed if I didn't say I had more fun playing travel ball and hanging out with my teammates versus my high school friends.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
HS doesn't matter...that's what many people here swear by.

When DD got to college (a Div I school), I started paying more attention to college rosters and the player bios, and something stood out. The vast majority that I've seen talk about HS ball, including details about where they played, how they did (including stats), and the athletic honors earned. If travel ball is mentioned at all, it usually gets fewer words. Look at the Oklahoma softball roster, read the bios, and you'll see what I mean.

If HS doesn't matter, then why does it get such detailed attention in the biographies of some of the best players in the sport???
Because travel ball doesn’t give out all state, all region, pitcher of the year… Also who wants to put in that they played for 5 organizations in the past 6 years?

Oct 8, 2020
We hear this all the time: "HS ball doesn't matter for recruiting." I don't disagree that it matters less, but I imagine it matters to some schools. Doesn't it show a girl can manage being an elite athlete AND a good student? I get why performance in TB matters more because of they higher levels of competition, but couldn't the HS matter too like performing well in the playoffs? I've also heard from coaches that since the pitching might not be as deep in HS you better be a rock star at the plate, or since the hitting isn't as good you better be piling up strikeouts, etc.

So just to add to the OP's question - what if a your school DOES have softball and you choose to not play? Couldn't there be some negatives to that? What if you do play and you stink for one reason or another. (out of position, or nagging injury) Anybody have any actual experience that HS "doesn't matter."

Thanks in advance!
I coach college softball in Michigan. We do look at what rhet do in high school. How they treat their team mates, hustle and ability. Grades are important also. Can they compete and keep good grades. Most student softball players do both in Michigan, as they can't play travel during the high school season.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I coach college softball in Michigan. We do look at what rhet do in high school. How they treat their team mates, hustle and ability. Grades are important also. Can they compete and keep good grades. Most student softball players do both in Michigan, as they can't play travel during the high school season.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Does it matter to you if they don't play high school softball?

Obviously they could be doing something else in School .... but is it a deal-breaker if they don't play high school softball?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Add this big interesting point ~
years back with early recruitment
players did not even play multiple High School seasons yet to get awards and they were already recruited.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The kid you mentioned who didn't play TB but will be starting as a freshman in her DII college probably went to the that school's camp(s). But, I can GUARANTEE you this: if that college was impressed with her at the camp, their first question to her would've been "What TB organization are you with?" If she said none, I'm sure they'd have been surprised. But, going to a camp can do a tremendous amount for a player.

You keep misrepresenting what I say...is it deliberate? The kid did play TB, just not on a high-dollar team or even a franchise of one that most would recognize. It most certainly appears that you have a standard regarding TB.

Aug 21, 2008
I would never purposely misrepresent what you have said. If I got something wrong, I apologize. I think we're going round and round.

On the other hand, I think it's YOU who keep misrepresenting. Personally I don't have a "standard" but there's no question that some teams have better reputations, better schedules, and better track records of success than others. Not all "Travel ball" is equal. As my grandmother would say: "All poodles are dogs but not all dogs are poodles.".

If I was recruiting, and I saw a pitcher I liked at a camp of mine, I'd ask what TB team she's with and I'd have serious questions if she said she didn't play TB. And, Everyone has their own reasons for why they play for a particular team or organization. A FANTASTIC pitcher might choose to play for a TB team that doesn't go to PGF or the Alliance cup or any national tournament. And I would certainly inquire why that was the case since National tournaments is where you'll see a great number of coaches. And any coach would hope and wish that pitcher would, at the very least, be a guest player at one of the Nationals so a true measure of their abilities can be judged. For example, if I was recruiting Montana Fouts and her TB team wasn't in the "top bracket" of the Colorado tournament, I don't think I'd get a fair look at her vs. the best players and teams. I'm sure there are fantastic players and pitchers who don't play for the top organizations because of the costs, time requirements, wanting to play with friends, etc. And yes, I'm sure many of those kids slip through the cracks. But, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a coach that will offer a significant scholarship to a kid who hasn't proven themselves against the best competition possible. Is that unfair? Maybe. But I'll say it again, I didn't create the system. Not all organizations and tournaments are equal, it's that simple.

So, aside from the misrepresenting comments we've both sent each other, I'm glad we can discuss this with civility. No name calling, unless you're swearing at me and not typing it here. LOL. The ability to discuss and talk about differences is lost in the USA these days. Thank you for the back and forth. If we don't reply to each other before... Merry Christmas to you and yours.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As mentioned, Travel ball players when they are connecting with colleges represent themselves by their travel ball team and coach name...along with any h.s. awards.
A lot of times player Bio are from freshman and sophomore years... there may not be a lot of awards from high school already on those resumes and initial contact. Nor might they be playing varsity at all.

along with that player bio for college recruitment includes
*The travel ball tournaments they play in. Can be a helpful guide for college recruitment also.
And for the players that play on top teams where their teams do win Nationals and travel ball sometimes that is noted on player bios once they're in college. Because it's marketing filler.

Example
There is a difference between playing in
Colorado
sparkler vs
Power pool vs
IDT.

Think that it's great that players can stand out in their High School leagues. And would take nothing away from those awards that they receive. However there is some status in the travel ball world it just comes by different notoriety.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse