Help With ASA Rule-2nd Base When Walked

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
My .02... whatever they do, don't fake a play. The fake turns "off" the LBR. IMO, you either sacrifice the BR to 2nd (unless it would be the third out, then you try the play), or you design a play in practice involving the pitcher, catcher, and infielders, and make sure everyone KNOWS what could happen. If you just tell the pitcher to get the ball and throw it to first, but F3 doesn't know to expect the ball, you could have all kinds of problems.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
"Wouldn't that be one way to defend against the run though? R1 on 3rd. BR walks. If R1 knows what's going on, they've led off. Catcher returns the ball QUICKLY to the pitcher. Ideally, the pitcher has the ball before the BR gets to 1st. R1 (ignore the BR for a moment) now must make a decision... either back to 3rd or advance toward home. If the pitcher does nothing else, yes, the BR has a free trip to 2nd."

I believe this is incorrect - the look back rule would not go into effect in this situation UNTIL the batter who has walked touches 1B. Until that time, the ball is live and R1 on 3B is not required to go back to 3B just because the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

Mar 15, 2010
I believe this is incorrect - the look back rule would not go into effect in this situation UNTIL the batter who has walked touches 1B. Until that time, the ball is live and R1 on 3B is not required to go back to 3B just because the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

This is the correct. Per ASA Rule Supplement #34, " The look back rule does not go into effect for ANY runner until the batter-runner touches first base or is called out, AND the the pitcher has control of the ball within the eight foot radius circle". Upper cases are mine.

Jun 21, 2010
Now, a possible defense against that... the pitcher gets the ball and R1 decides to head back to 3rd (if they head home, pitcher better be throwing back to catcher). BR rounds 1st and heads toward 2nd. Play the 2nd baseman in the basepath (should be about 15-20' from pitcher?). If the BR heads toward 2nd, pitcher throws to 2nd baseman (in basepath, NOT at the base). 2nd baseman tags the runner and immediately gets ready to throw home. R1 should have retreated at least partway back to 3rd when this happens, allowing more time for the throw from pitcher to 2nd baseman and then back to home.

This one has worked for me in the past. In fact, we got a double play in the championship game of a tournament using it. We had worked on the play, and called it "Lauren", which was the name of the second baseman. This way, when in that situation I could yell Lauren and everyone knew what to look for (that is when Lauren wasn't day dreaming, and I kept screaming her name :) ) !

Jul 21, 2009
This is the correct. Per ASA Rule Supplement #34, " The look back rule does not go into effect for ANY runner until the batter-runner touches first base or is called out, AND the the pitcher has control of the ball within the eight foot radius circle". Upper cases are mine.
Did not know that. Sorry to put out wrong information.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Any fielder that is placed in the base path is in danger of being ran over by the base runner. Then, you are going to have obstruction.

I prefer to throw to the 1st baseman. She has a shorter throw to home than the 2nd baseman. This will stop the runner at 1st and hopefully freeze the runner at 3rd.

Another way is to throw to the SS, who is between the pitcher and 2nd base. Then, the SS tosses or runs the ball to the pitcher.

Of course, you have to have a dependable catcher for her to make any throws at all with a runner on 3rd. If she can't throw to 2nd that is a complete different problem. :) If that is the case, or if the 2nd baseman isn't dependable, I have the catcher put on an act, where she holds the ball in the ready position and takes a big step in front of the plate. (Not really leaving home.) She can even yell something like "Hey!" Or "Second!" And the infield has to move to their base. They can be yelling, too. "Here!"

Jul 21, 2009
Any fielder that is placed in the base path is in danger of being ran over by the base runner. Then, you are going to have obstruction.
It's not obstruction if the fielder has the ball. You only throw to 2nd baseman if the runner turns toward 2nd.

I prefer to throw to the 1st baseman. She has a shorter throw to home than the 2nd baseman. This will stop the runner at 1st and hopefully freeze the runner at 3rd.
My only problem with this is a smart runner on 3rd will stay in the lead off area... they don't have to go back to the bag.

Another way is to throw to the SS, who is between the pitcher and 2nd base. Then, the SS tosses or runs the ball to the pitcher.
I don't follow that one unless you are trying to trick the runner on third that the ball is going to 2nd.

[qupte
Of course, you have to have a dependable catcher for her to make any throws at all with a runner on 3rd. If she can't throw to 2nd that is a complete different problem. :) [/quote]You have to have a dependable catcher, pitcher, 2nd base, 1st base, and 3rd base depending on how you structure the play. One weak link and you can end up with the run scoring AND the BR on 2nd.

If that is the case, or if the 2nd baseman isn't dependable, I have the catcher put on an act, where she holds the ball in the ready position and takes a big step in front of the plate. (Not really leaving home.) She can even yell something like "Hey!" Or "Second!" And the infield has to move to their base. They can be yelling, too. "Here!"
Again, doesn't force the runner on 3rd to commit.

Ball back to the pitcher... as soon as BR touches 1st, R1 needs to commit (right?). If BR goes to 2nd, (R1 should already be at least "leaning" the wrong way), pitcher flips the ball to 2nd baseman. Quick tag then throw home. I'm guessing you've forced R1 to take at least a step or two back toward third, giving the 2nd baseman more time to make the throw home.

I'd love to try this out in practice some time, but since I'm not a coach...

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
R1 on 3rd. BR walks. If R1 knows what's going on, they've led off. Catcher returns the ball QUICKLY to the pitcher. Ideally, the pitcher has the ball before the BR gets to 1st. R1 (ignore the BR for a moment) now must make a decision... either back to 3rd or advance toward home. If the pitcher does nothing else, yes, the BR has a free trip to 2nd.
Sorry Sam. On this ONE occasion, the runner does not need to make a decision until the BR has touched 1B. She can hang off the bag, unmoving, until the BR makes it to 1B.

Mar 13, 2010
Does the rule differentiate between a "walk" and a "hit"? If you can round 1B after a hit, stop, and then go back to 1B, why can't you do the same thing on a walk (in divison's that have the continuation play after a walk).

For purposes of this rule, there is NO differentiation in the ASA Rule Book between a BR reaches 1st on a hit and a BR who reaches 1st via a base on balls.
the rule book, rules supplement, and case book refers simply to the batter-runner

Jul 21, 2009
Sorry Sam. On this ONE occasion, the runner does not need to make a decision until the BR has touched 1B. She can hang off the bag, unmoving, until the BR makes it to 1B.
Yea, that was pointed out to me earlier. But if the pitcher is holding the ball, when BR touches first, R1 will probably commit back to 3rd, and pitcher can make a quick throw to F4 if BR tries for the steal. If nothing else, R1 is "leaning" the wrong way and that can give the extra second or two for F4 to catch, tag BR (R2?) and throw home.

ETA: I just don't think F4 should go toward 2nd base... they should be in their normal fielding position... shorter throw for the pitcher (doesn't need to turn all the way around), and shorter throw back to home if needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish