Help With ASA Rule-2nd Base When Walked

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 11, 2010
I am a new coach and I need help with the ASA (Look Back) rule Rule 8 Section 7 T-3a. It states a batter-runner who rounds 1st base towards 2nd base may stop once, but then must immediately non-stop return to 1st base or attempt to advance non-stop to 2nd base.

We were in a tie ball game last night and the girl was walked. She rounded 1st and stopped, looked at pitcher, paused and then returned to 1st base. I called time and to discuss with the umpire and was told to get back into the dugout.

1. How does the umpire decide what immediately is?
2. How fast does the runner have to return to 1st base?
3. Don't I have the right to call time out and discuss something with the umpire?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Answer to #1 - depends on the umpire's judgment
Answer to #2 - depends on the umpire's judgment
Answer to #3 - you have the right to request time out, not the right to a time out

The look back rule is one of the most contested rules in the book. Did you pitcher, with the ball in her control in the circle, make any kind of movement toward 1B after the runner rounded 1B? If so, the ball is live and the look back rule is not in play. If the runner simply stopped, looked at the pitcher, then went back to 1B without making any movement toward 2B (understanding this is a HAD TO BE THERE situation), I see no violation of the look back rule.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What you described happens all the time, the runner did nothing wrong, she rounded 1st, stopped, looked at pitcher decided not to go towards 2nd and went back to the 1st base bag. I don't know what the definition of "immediately" is but its a judgement call by the umpire. If the situation you described happens within a few seconds, I don't think the umpire would call a "circle violation" and an out on the runner. The reasoning for the rule is to discourage runners from faking back and forth incessantly between bases (which she did not do) and to help speed up play.

To answer your other question, the umpire should have granted you time and should have explained to you the rule if it was unclear to you.

Sep 17, 2009
This rule confuses me. I consistently see any girl who is walked that takes a turn to second and then stops called out. It seems the turning and stopping is what is being called.

That seems to go against "a batter-runner who rounds 1st base towards 2nd base may stop once"...

Is the initial action of turning the bag the trigger for having to go to second, or does the runner get to make a turn, stop, and then a that point either go forward or back?

We've never taught a turn and stop on a walk. They either stop on the base or proceed, quickly or slowly, to second. Should we teach a turn and stop? Or are we just tempting fate on illegal turn calls?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the base runner needs to decide
whether she is going back or advancing to the next base. If runner stops and the pitcher
is not 'looking her back' she is out.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Does the rule differentiate between a "walk" and a "hit"? If you can round 1B after a hit, stop, and then go back to 1B, why can't you do the same thing on a walk (in divison's that have the continuation play after a walk).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Coach JV, That is going to confuse things further. You are allowed to round the base and stop. Then, either go to second or retreat to first. It doesn't matter if the pitcher is looking at her or not.

But, if you walk to first and stop on the bag, the runner cannot step off, if the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

The rule gets more interesting when there is a runner on third that doesn't have to retreat or run, until the batter gets to first base.

It annoys me when parents are yelling "throw the ball to the pitcher!", like that immediately freezes the runner.

Mar 15, 2010
It annoys me when parents are yelling "throw the ball to the pitcher!", like that immediately freezes the runner.

Stephen Colbert created the word Truthiness and I feel it describes the parents above in perfect detail. "Truthiness is what you want the facts to be, as opposed to what the facts are. What feels like the right answer as opposed to what reality will support."

Jul 21, 2009
Wouldn't that be one way to defend against the run though? R1 on 3rd. BR walks. If R1 knows what's going on, they've led off. Catcher returns the ball QUICKLY to the pitcher. Ideally, the pitcher has the ball before the BR gets to 1st. R1 (ignore the BR for a moment) now must make a decision... either back to 3rd or advance toward home. If the pitcher does nothing else, yes, the BR has a free trip to 2nd.

Now, a possible defense against that... the pitcher gets the ball and R1 decides to head back to 3rd (if they head home, pitcher better be throwing back to catcher). BR rounds 1st and heads toward 2nd. Play the 2nd baseman in the basepath (should be about 15-20' from pitcher?). If the BR heads toward 2nd, pitcher throws to 2nd baseman (in basepath, NOT at the base). 2nd baseman tags the runner and immediately gets ready to throw home. R1 should have retreated at least partway back to 3rd when this happens, allowing more time for the throw from pitcher to 2nd baseman and then back to home.

Another possible defense... first baseman at the walk goes into the basepath between 1st & 2nd about 5 ft off first. Catcher QUICKLY throws to the 1st baseman. If R1 takes off home, throw back home. If R1 stays off the bag, 1st holds the ball until BR stops on the bag (if they "round" the bag, tag for the out).

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812