Florida suspends 3 players.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If the rumors are true about the racism THEN THOSE GIRLS NEED TO GO BACK TO ENGLAND!

Sami says "there are rumors circulating that are false. We were not released because of racism or bullying. Kasey and Cheyenne are roomates with Michelle. All three of us are good friends and will remain close. It is sad that people have created such false accusations."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. It had to have something to do with their twitter accounts, since those were taken down immediately. There are not too many violations that you are shown the door, immediately. Even a fist fight, would probably get you a one day suspension. IF it was racially motivated, the messages would have had a "screen shot" taken of them and are preserved. (I am guessing.)

May 7, 2012
NC
Cutting or whatever you want to call it, if it kept the team together, was probably the best thing the coach could have done. Don't want to see these girls labeled until the facts come out though!!

Apr 1, 2010
Seems to me as though it could be a good opportunity to say to girls one more time, "Don't post or text anything you wouldn't want everyone to see."

May 25, 2010
Although the exact details have not been made public, Sluggers is exactly right about the way things work at SEC schools not named Vanderbilt when it comes to athletics. For these young women to have been suspended indefinitely with very little investigation, it seems that whatever was alleged was pretty bad and the coach believed the allegations.

Warning - this link contains a great deal of opinion and speculation about the incident and some backstory that may or may not be pertinent here:

Florida Softball's Black Friday: Three Starters Dismissed Before 2-1 NCAA Tournament Loss To Florida Gulf Coast - Alligator Army

I apologize in advance for treading into the poison-tainted waters in the realm of gossip, and hope this does not result in any undue harm to anyone's reputation. I don't know what will happen next, but four of the girls - including the three who were suspended, plus Michelle Moultrie, who's still with the team - have all denied 'the false rumors' that are circulating via social media.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Kudos to Coach Walton.

yeah...well...maybe...

I don't have any inside information, and I can only go on my 30+ years of experience with softball and my two kids playing college ball.

My guess is that there have been problems on the team for some time, and Coach Walton looked the other way. Then, these kids did something that might become public, and he had to cut them.

As to this whole, "oh, it was nothing"...no coach (including Vanderbilt's) is going to kick three starters off the team right before the playoff games when they have a chance to win for twittering a naked booby or drinking a draft at the local watering hole.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It's gonna come out sometime...............

I'm gonna guess right now with my 30 years of "ball", they threatened some type of physical "harm". Girls are ruthless, and they also "say" a lot of things that only boys are stupid enough to actually do. Only thing different than 5-10 years ago is you can track it electronically and publicly.

See soon if I'm right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors