FFS and others please give feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
Her biggest issue is not involving her lower body she is basically just rocking back and then letting go forward with upper body.

There is no load/coil with the lower body even her upper body tilt is only minor rock back.

Even though from the upper half it looks like she has a good powerful swing if you look slowly in the video it is almost like she is just standing there and swinging.

I don't think it will take a whole lot she just need to start using her lower half.

She thinks she's coiling and most of the time I think she's coiling so I wonder if she just didn't put quite the effort in it cause she was worried about the video. Then again...this may be what she always does. I know she's usually trying to feel the pressure on the leg/knee/foot basically trying to externally rotate without the foot/knee moving. Her rear hip does rotate/coil but is it still not enough?

There are a couple drills that are in a sticky thread you could try, the one I would suggest is the one legged drill taking the front foot back and forward while leaving hands back then following through.

Biggest things to focus on is how much coil/load is on the back hip as the front leg comes backwards then as his front leg goes forward his upper body is tilting with hands staying back...again everything is slightly exaggerated because it is a drill but it is to get the feeling of what it is like again pay special attention to the tilting backwards upper body happening as the front foot goes forward.

a front toss drill or live pitching with about 4 or 5 pitches would be good enough to tell if it is a one time thing or how she always swings.

Last edited:
R

RayR

Just making sure you meant she is trying to externally rotate. If so, what and why is externally rotating?

She thinks she's coiling and most of the time I think she's coiling so I wonder if she just didn't put quite the effort in it cause she was worried about the video. Then again...this may be what she always does. I know she's usually trying to feel the pressure on the leg/knee/foot basically trying to externally rotate without the foot/knee moving. Her rear hip does rotate/coil but is it still not enough?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
She is out of sequence....I can see she has a lot of bat speed...but I can also see she is very athletic and will be able to continue to advance her swing. Just work on getting the lower to get a running start. Get and feel the stretch. Do the drill with the lower at a contact position. Practice swinging with the lower getting obnoxiously ahead of the upper...slowly get it ahead and fire...and work into full speed.
drcback_zps2ba0c3ee.gif

both vids slowed at launch
drcside_zps00085a00.gif

bautistaresist_zps70ed304d.gif

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Just making sure you meant she is trying to externally rotate. If so, what and why is externally rotating?

I may be looking at things backwards but she tries to turn her back right knee and/or her back right pocket (pants) towards the 3rd base dugout (clockwise) without turning her right foot clockwise.

Mar 12, 2009
RHC, We do that at a real slow speed basically a step by step process but I will try to have her just gradually get faster till she can hopefully do it full speed. Does she still need more weight shift and/or coil in your opinion?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
RHC, We do that at a real slow speed basically a step by step process but I will try to have her just gradually get faster till she can hopefully do it full speed. Does she still need more weight shift and/or coil in your opinion?

Maybe down the road have a focus on more coil. She gets her lower starting early, keeps her back resisting the turn, get the ringing out of the towel in her hip area, get the rubber band stretch up her right side, stretching and pulling on that barrel turn, her bat will whip fast and early....more power...more time to see the pitch...sudden launch.

I like the way her rear side comes forward with out a whole lot of forward movement...Barry Bonds style. Her rear side is unweighted at contact. That's the only time is needs to be.

Mar 12, 2009
That's the only time it needs to be unweighted? Just making sure I'm reading you right...I don't want to get confused.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
That's the only time it needs to be unweighted? Just making sure I'm reading you right...I don't want to get confused.

Yes...drive your weight/rear side into and through the ball. You see Bonds usually then falls right back on that foot. A lot of people call me "linear" when I say things like that, but that IS what happens in a high level swing. Most of the "rotational hitting" instructors that tied themselves up with dvds and rotational advertising, now carry a disclaimer of sorts...usually saying the "high level swing" contains both linear and rotational elements.

Mar 12, 2009
I may be looking at things backwards but she tries to turn her back right knee and/or her back right pocket (pants) towards the 3rd base dugout (clockwise) without turning her right foot clockwise.

I want to be sure this is what you should be trying to feel or do? If so, is this internal or external rotation of the right hip/right back pants pocket?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06