Female quarterback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I don't like it. It sends mixed messages. You tell boys don't hit girls, now you tell them to hit girls. I'm not at all for mixing girls and boys in contact sports.

Rubbish! Apples and oranges! You should tell all children not to hit anyone unless in self defense, period. In a football, rugby, etc, it isn't hitting an individual, it is tackling. Yes, unfortunately, kids are now taught that if they want to be on the highlight reel, they need to blast someone. Great teaching method, right? You might also notice in many football games, from Pop Warner to NFL, the players who rely on the impact to take the opponent down often lose a game because they are so intent on the impact, they to not tackle the individual who then runs away to score a touchdown.

And I do not believe there should be an exclusion of gender for any sport AS LONG AS THE PARTICIPANT IS CAPABLE OF HANDLING ALL ASPECTS OF PARTICIPATION. IOW, no special treatment for anyone. If a female cannot handle the hit, she shouldn't be on the field. If the male cannot handle playing a game without physically bullying the female player, he shouldn't be on the field.

Special rules for anyone pretty much screw up a game/sport.

Last edited:
Rubbish! Apples and oranges! You should tell all children not to hit anyone unless in self defense, period. In a football, rugby, etc, it isn't hitting an individual, it is tackling. Yes, unfortunately, kids are now taught that if they want to be on the highlight reel, they need to blast someone. Great teaching method, right? You might also notice in many football games, from Pop Warner to NFL, the players who rely on the impact to take the opponent down often lose a game because they are so intent on the impact, they to not tackle the individual who then runs away to score a touchdown.

And I do not believe there should be an exclusion of gender for any sport AS LONG AS THE PARTICIPANT IS CAPABLE OF HANDLING ALL ASPECTS OF PARTICIPATION. IOW, no special treatment for anyone. If a female cannot handle the hit, she shouldn't be on the field. If the male cannot handle playing a game without physically bullying the female player, he shouldn't be on the field.

To me it goes both ways...if a female cannot handle the physical punishment then she should not play. If a male cannot handle the punishment then he should not play. Gender really does not mean much to me if you can get the job done and handle the abuse. I played football when I was a youngster in Jr. High and did not pursue in HS because I just was too scrawny. There was some injury in my future because of the sheer size of some of the people I was playing against. So, I stuck with every other sport I could play but football.

If you are on the field, then you are fair game for whatever happens no matter what size you are or if you are male of female.

Jul 28, 2008

We already have people saying they hope someone will not try and take her out. Well if you come at her with everything you got, which is what you would expect to do with a guy back there. Do that and you're gonna get accused of trying to take her out. It does send mixed messages and I stand my may statement.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Tonight's article says that she is the #3 quarterback. She played 2 downs in the last seconds of the game and handed the ball off both times.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We already have people saying they hope someone will not try and take her out. Well if you come at her with everything you got, which is what you would expect to do with a guy back there. Do that and you're gonna get accused of trying to take her out. It does send mixed messages and I stand my may statement.

You're saying that a girl should be banned in order to protect boys from being accused of unsportsmanlike conduct? If it makes boys uncomfortable, I think that's the boys' problem, not the girl's problem.

If you're saying that you wished girls wouldn't play because of the awkward position this puts some boys in, then I understand that point of view. I just don't think that outweighs giving girls the same opportunities that boys are given. It's unwarranted discrimination, imho.

Mar 13, 2010
I have to say generally I don't agree with it. I don't think men and women from adolescent onwards should be playing each other in tackling sports. It's not like baseball and softball (or netball, basketball and so on) from about the age of 14 there is a masked difference between boys and girls on a general level. You'll get the one off female who excels but it's not worth risking to find out if she's the one off.

Even in non contact sports when you put the top women against the mediocre elite men's athletes they don't come out on top. This is fact.

I played rugby league as a kid. Was co-Ed till ten then went to a girls league until 14 (and was forbidden by my softball coach playing) I'm now a lot fitter at 29 then I have been and was mucking around with my 6'4 boyfriend who barely knows the sport. He tackled me to the ground and knocked the wind out of me. I was on the ground for a good five minutes. And that wasn't a 'game' tackle, that was him mucking around.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Even in non contact sports when you put the top women against the mediocre elite men's athletes they don't come out on top. This is fact.

Agreed, but why does this have to be a male-female issue?

If physically weaker or inferior athletes are at greater risk of injury, then segregate big from small, strong from weak, but not male from female. Most 9th graders are not 'safe' playing varsity football at the highest level, but should they be banned, or should each athlete and their coach be responsible for helping make that determination on a case by case basis? I don't think you can't discriminate against a group of people based on the typical member of that group, especially when it comes to gender.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My nephew is a good example. As a freshman in a large Houston HS, he was knocked out, when he was hit by a senior. The older player apologized, but it left my nephew with a concussion and he spent a couple of weeks at home, flat on his back.

The young lady in question, may never get in another game. I watched the video of her and saw the starting QB and her coach. But, I read where there are 500 females playing football on HS teams in FL., so maybe it isn't so unusual as we think.

If you find the video of her interview, check out the head coach - out on the field with flip flops on.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Well, that is part of the problem with people. I really dont' give a damn what someone thinks, if it is a clean play, it is a clean play. If someone doesn't like it, don't watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie