Feel a "Whole Body" swing VS an "All Arm"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
I was just wondering what success has been had by some of you on getting a player to really feel that 'tug" with their core from separation, as the means by how they drive themselves to the ball. I've had some of my players do the walk through drill and Mulvany's Open-Close drill, but some just walk through/close, stop, then swing through with their arms only completely not getting point of the drill movements whatsover.

I try to explain to them what body parts needs to be focused on, and some get it, and others just don't and I'm guessing they just aren't "feeling" what they should be?

So I guess some other drill suggestions or at least different things to say that might 'click' with their though process more would be very much appreciated.

Oh by the way this is a 10U team so you can understand why I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to what makes sense to them. Not being impatient at all, just want to make sure I'm not the catalyst towards bad mechanics later on.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
A good way to get them to really feel the need to use the core to swing is to use a medicine ball drill. For 10u's you can use a 4 lb (maybe a 6 lb) ball. If they are all arms it won't go very far. Teach them to use the whole body and they'll feel the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntXay9nOlo8

Oct 12, 2009
I was just wondering what success has been had by some of you on getting a player to really feel that 'tug" with their core from separation, as the means by how they drive themselves to the ball. I've had some of my players do the walk through drill and Mulvany's Open-Close drill, but some just walk through/close, stop, then swing through with their arms only completely not getting point of the drill movements whatsover.

I try to explain to them what body parts needs to be focused on, and some get it, and others just don't and I'm guessing they just aren't "feeling" what they should be?

So I guess some other drill suggestions or at least different things to say that might 'click' with their though process more would be very much appreciated.

Oh by the way this is a 10U team so you can understand why I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to what makes sense to them. Not being impatient at all, just want to make sure I'm not the catalyst towards bad mechanics later on.

One way I found to convince my younger son that his arm-y swing wouldn't work was to have him set his feet relative to the plate and then hit balls off a tee that were both inside and outside. He could hit the outside balls all day long but couldn't hit an inside pitch to save his life with his arm-y swing. That combined with a sense of the strike zone made him more receptive to what I was saying.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Staying connected.

That is really what you mean when you tell your daughter. To hit with the core of the body.

The knob of the bat must stay perpendicular to her spine as she rotates her core. The question then becomes how do you get her to feel what staying connected is like during the swing. That is a bit more difficult. I have created a device that will help you do just that. If your interested PM me and I will tell you how to make one.

Connection is the engine that drives the swing in any good hitter. At all levels.

Good luck it will take some time to get her to understand not to take the arms to the ball but in the long run she will be a much better hitter.

Dana.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
IMO, the best thing you can do at the 10U age to help them with their hitting, is to teach them how to throw overhand. I know that's not what you want to hear, but when they learn how to Hip Cock and then Stretch, the separation part will most likely come naturally.

It's amazing how much of the swing comes naturally when the proper sequence is followed. Here's what I believe to be the correct sequence:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IUBI ... I'm interested in how you build your connector device.

I personally believe the strap that Mankin added to the front side is important ... and if you've found an economical way to add that, then I'm even more interested.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am no longer at liberty to discuss that at this time.

Thanks for your interest.

Dana.

No problem. I mistook the bold portion below to be an invite to learn of how you built your connection device.

The question then becomes how do you get her to feel what staying connected is like during the swing. That is a bit more difficult. I have created a device that will help you do just that. If your interested PM me and I will tell you how to make one.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Dang it! If only I was a day earlier.

I'd like to work with one of these for a few weeks and introduce them to the kids this winter.

I'm not kidding at all about the importance of the strap on the lead side. You yourself alluded to Gywnn's comment in his review of Bonds. If you are going to promote the actions of connection ... then that lead side strap is important IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1