Extension - Hips before Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Here is a clip of Yee demonstrating a load of the hands and no load. Cusp vs no cusp.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Would you agree that preset conditions include attaining a "cusp?"

Similar to throwing that includes a properly timed hand break, hitting can viewed the same. Hand break in hitting can viewed as when the hands load in the sequence. Proper sequencing does not require muscle - it stores energy to be released.

Sat through a team workout last night (just a spectator) and was able to watch throwing practice. What was missing IMO was a properly timed hand break. The ball was up and out way too early and the throws were all arms. The players were preset with ball in the "L" position. There wasn't stored energy from this position.

Proper sequencing does not require muscle??? Can you explain that a little?

R

RayR

Proper sequencing does not require muscle??? Can you explain that a little?

Relax, Socrates. I meant that you don't have to be Arnold to learn how to sequence. I didn't mean you don't use your muscles. It is not about muscling the swing...

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
The phrase "proper sequencing does not require muscle" made me think otherwise.

Sequencing is all about muscle control (and the minds control of the muscles, movements). And no, you don't need to be Arnold, but if a player doesn't have enough proprioception to pull it off, it might be time to step backwards and work on that. In addition to our Strength & Conditioning programs, we have a yoga instructor come to our facility to work with our players. I strongly recommend it. Namaste.

68394_136213523094431_115986248450492_175117_5727189_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Would you agree that preset conditions include attaining a "cusp?"

Similar to throwing that includes a properly timed hand break, hitting can viewed the same. Hand break in hitting can viewed as when the hands load in the sequence. Proper sequencing does not require muscle - it stores energy to be released.

Sat through a team workout last night (just a spectator) and was able to watch throwing practice. What was missing IMO was a properly timed hand break. The ball was up and out way too early and the throws were all arms. The players were preset with ball in the "L" position. There wasn't stored energy from this position.

When I think of pre-set conditions I'm thinking more along the lines of things like establishing dynamic balance in the legs, a preset screw-in with the back leg, etc. .... settings that can go a long way towards getting a swing off to a good start that can be taken care of early on in the process and put the hitter more in a position to focus on seeing the ball and hitting it.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
multiple sports/skills and overhand throw make it easier to feel things/learn to feel sequences.

throwing is particularly good as a creative act that requires supporting a consistent release point.

the you can learn the similar part of the swing that has more reactive/adjustment requirements.

learning feel of 1 vs 2 plane golf can be an excellent point of reference also.

building hand/arm strength, rice bucket, chinups

chopping trees down/axe skills

swinging heavy/variable lumber, etc

Last edited:
R

RayR

The phrase "proper sequencing does not require muscle" made me think otherwise.

Sequencing is all about muscle control (and the minds control of the muscles, movements). And no, you don't need to be Arnold, but if a player doesn't have enough proprioception to pull it off, it might be time to step backwards and work on that. In addition to our Strength & Conditioning programs, we have a yoga instructor come to our facility to work with our players. I strongly recommend it. Namaste.

68394_136213523094431_115986248450492_175117_5727189_n.jpg

I am a big believer in Yoga since injuring my back - good work here!

R

RayR

When I think of pre-set conditions I'm thinking more along the lines of things like establishing dynamic balance in the legs, a preset screw-in with the back leg, etc. .... settings that can go a long way towards getting a swing off to a good start that can be taken care of early on in the process and put the hitter more in a position to focus on seeing the ball and hitting it.

While I understand the screw in position - I am very hesitant in introducing to my female students with ACL injuries so common. I prefer Howard's cue of grabbing with the toes to establish dynamic balance.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While I understand the screw in position - I am very hesitant in introducing to my female students with ACL injuries so common. I prefer Howard's cue of grabbing with the toes to establish dynamic balance.

Haven't seen an issue with it yet.

As for the comment on the toes grabbing the ground ... I described this in connection to the screw-in earlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan