Extension - Hips before Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Haven't seen an issue with it yet.

If you do that'll be a comforting thought for the parents...

Really now - I have read other people complaining of knee soreness (their students and themselves) - so in effect it is a not an easy teach - why risk some kids career?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you do that'll be a comforting thought for the parents...

Really now - I have read other people complaining of knee soreness (their students and themselves) - so in effect it is a not an easy teach - why risk some kids career?

Really. Haven’t had a single incidence … due to batting … did have an issue with a player sliding into home plate.

As you might be aware of … I’m generally skeptical of people that advocate different mechanics than what can be confirmed via the Hanson Principle and go off to tout differences in ACL injury rates as an excuse.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for female athletes adapting an ACL conditioning program. Makes perfect sense to me. Seems to be the general consensus of many studies.

Research has shown that the incidence of non-contact ACL injury can be reduced anywhere from 20% to 80% by engaging in regular neuromuscular training that is designed to enhance proprioception, balance, proper movement patterns and muscle strength.

I suppose another approach would be to invent a new swing mechanic and ignore the past 100 yrs of the sport’s history. Teasing of course. I firmly believe in “building the athlete first”.

Dec 14, 2010
Weston, Florida
Jen Yee

I believe Yee advocates more of a linear approach. She equates circular swing to casting.

Jen Yee is about as "rotational" as it gets. You can absolutely have a rotational swing without casting. Casting the bat causes bat drag, and slows down bathead-- much like a figure skater extending her arms while spinning. The skater brings them in tight to spin ("rotate") faster. Good rotational hitters keep the bathead in tight to the outside of the back arm, and clear their hips (to create torque and then batwhip) before releasing the bat (bat lag-- which is not only a good thing but an imperative thing if one is to have batwhip and power). I would highly suggest reading her blog. Not only is she a great hitter but she fully understands the concept of swinging the bat and exlains it bette than anyone IMHO. Dave Paetkau's Brain in a Blog

R

RayR

Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard.

I didn't say she wasn't rotational - I said she advocates a more eliptical hand path. Too circular of a hand path leads to casting.

I did read her blog. I like this drill:

Oct 12, 2009
Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard.

I didn't say she wasn't rotational - I said she advocates a more eliptical hand path. Too circular of a hand path leads to casting.

I did read her blog. I like this drill:

While the objective is good, I don't like any drill where you hit the ball off the end of the bat.

I'd move the tees around (e.g. a bit farther apart) so that you still can't cast but so that you can also hit the ball off of the sweet spot of the bat.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
"Another reason for opening our hips all the way is so we can create an elliptical motion with our swing. When our hips are rotated a full 90 degrees, the top hand is able to reach out farther towards the pitcher, as shown below in Figure 1. This reach is called "extension through the hitting zone," the more extension, the better chance of hitting the ball."

- Jen Yee

Ted illustrates and says the same thing in his book "The Science of Hitting". The swing is a "power-push swing", you are pushing right through contact. If a hitter gets their hips around and swings slightly up, their top hand will be in the strongest possible position at contact.

Much of the info I have of Yee sounds like it comes from "The Science of Hitting". She just words things a little differently. Cochran reportedly studied Williams from the age of 11 and kept a copy of Ted's book in her backpack. IMO, Ted's material is timeless.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I know it's blasphemy but I think that Williams had some major misconceptions about the swing. His idea that the 'joy spot' on the bat is smaller when you make early or late contact is a good example. If you look at the drawing in his book it only makes sense if the ball is moving and the bat is stationary. Then there's the section where he says that to hit the low pitch you should bend down, there's even a picture of Ted with his front knee bent at a 90 degree angle. This makes me think that he didn't understand swing plane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG