Epic Failure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
What the ladies are doing is guessing wrong. They expect the rise, they get the change. They expect the change, they get the drop. They expect the drop, they get the rise.....etc. They're swinging like this because they are fooled by the pitch. You can throw mechanics out of the window when you guess.
Those were my thoughts. This is a great pitcher, and it's a video of HER highlights, not the hitters'. Maybe these hitters need work. But it reminds me of the line used by Mike Tyson - "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.'' It's hard to look good when somebody who's better than you just knocked you on your rear.

Those are two pretty good posts!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Great point. That is why I always like to compare swings off tee, front toss, machine and game.

This is why I don't really care for tee work unless we are trying to fix something or maybe just to stay loose during the cold months in the garage. There is no substitute for live pitching, and lots of it. Then you don't look shell shocked like this offense does.

I'll be fair though. Last year we ran up against a girl about 5'3 who was cruising 65-66 and had some magic on those pitches. Our team swung hard, nice cuts but couldn't hit her to save our lives. I got so upset ( for lack of a better word ) I walked over to our dugout and asked them "what the heck is she throwing"? One girl leaned forward and said "a bunch of strikes"!!! I went and sat back down.

The real sad thing is this little 5'3 girl is playing this year up north on a college volleyball scholarship. Huh? What? Really?

Dec 19, 2012
The real sad thing is this little 5'3 girl is playing this year up north on a college volleyball scholarship. Huh? What? Really?

Maybe she was a better volleyball player. Maybe she liked volleyball better. Maybe she received more money for volleyball. Heck, who knows! She must have been some athlete. Throwing 65 at 5'3" is really moving those short levers!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This video is a prime example of why we work zones or sit on a pitch. If youre sitting rise, and she throws a drop it's really hard to adjust. When you face a pitcher like this that runs the ladder, sit on your pitch and quit chasing hers.

The first obvious thing was it was clear most had not seen a quality riseball like that, my next thought was there was a lot of selective editing, in one of the shots there were girls on second and third I think they did not magically appear there but yeah the pitcher looked great,more props to her than a knock against the hitter, although the slappers did leave a lot to be desired.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
The first obvious thing was it was clear most had not seen a quality riseball like that, my next thought was there was a lot of selective editing, in one of the shots there were girls on second and third I think they did not magically appear there but yeah the pitcher looked great,more props to her than a knock against the hitter, although the slappers did leave a lot to be desired.

I did see the base runners in one of the later games as well. Maybe someone layed off the rise and took a walk! One thing that really jumped out at me was the lack of a coil or almost no sign of the S-N-F (Stretch and Fire) often discussed here. Does that just go away with great pitching or is it never a part of most girls actual game swings? It is really easy to do off of the tee.

Oct 10, 2011
I did see the base runners in one of the later games as well. Maybe someone layed off the rise and took a walk! One thing that really jumped out at me was the lack of a coil or almost no sign of the S-N-F (Stretch and Fire) often discussed here. Does that just go away with great pitching or is it never a part of most girls actual game swings? It is really easy to do off of the tee.
I don't think it is part of most girls game swings. Most players feel they don't have enough time. I've heard it with my own ears. That's why they need to start earlier in a smooth "load" and then "explode." I see a lot of players set up already loaded in their stance which takes away power and hurts with timing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Had to get my schedule out, we will play a mid D1 signed pitcher the 22nd of March who runs the ladder just like this one. My DD would pick up with her TB team a couple times a year since she was 12. When we face her we sit rise, cause that's her bread and butter. I'll shoot some video to show how you can handle these type pitchers much better sitting and making the pitcher come to you than chasing everything from the knees to the letters.

This is where patience comes in, you gotta step in the box with a practicle plan and not try to attack every pitch.

Oct 10, 2011
This video is a prime example of why we work zones or sit on a pitch. If youre sitting rise, and she throws a drop it's really hard to adjust. When you face a pitcher like this that runs the ladder, sit on your pitch and quit chasing hers.
Ted Williams would be proud:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06