Epic Failure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is an interesting video to watch. This young lady is an outstanding pitcher but the question is - "why can't these players hit the ball?"

This is one of the reasons why I say that over evaluating a tee swing (like we often do here) has minimal value. I am sure at this age and level all of these young ladies have explosive contact off of a tee. What is the game swing?

The players batting in this video are all experienced travel players. They certainly range from slightly above avereage to very successful.

Watching the video - "why can't they hit the ball?" Getting late to the front side and not turning the barrel are two things I think I often notice. What do you see. (The video was public on you tube so I assume it is fine to link to it. If any players in the video want it down I will remove and edit post). It is an interesting study:

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Is that 43'? Looks like 23' but it could be the type of lens used.

And these are Gold teams? Per video, those are some of the worst team swings I've ever seen.

"why can't they hit the ball?"

Probably because the catcher is throwing the ball back to the pitcher before they start their swing.

The players batting in this video are all experienced travel players. They certainly range from slightly above avereage to very successful.

Could have fooled me.

What do you see

Very little. These girls are so surprised to make contact they can't even stand up.

R

RayR

So far - Slapper pulls off everything - 1st lefty drops hands bad and number 2 shifts to her front leg then tries to swing....

R

RayR

That's not right....but funny nonetheless!

Is that 43'? Looks like 23' but it could be the type of lens used.

And these are Gold teams? Per video, those are some of the worst team swings I've ever seen.

Probably because the catcher is throwing the ball back to the pitcher before they start their swing.

Could have fooled me.

Very little. These girls are so surprised to make contact they can't even stand up.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know the 1st Team's organization batting in the Video and while they are not my favorite they are a lot better than the video makes them look. Not sure what is going on.

Dec 19, 2012
The last I heard Miss Alvelo (2015) verballed to Washington. What you are watching is a PAC-12 pitching talent going against mainly Mid-Major D1 and D2 quality players. Miss Alvelo is an amazing talent, with total command, control, and change of speed that would make your head spin. So don't knock the hitters that have gone against her in that video because the kids of many here, including my own, would look just as silly trying to hit against a talent like that.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yes, she is an outstanding pitcher and is going the UDub. However, keep in mind that the purpose of this video is to show her off. I doubt that had a hitter hit one out of the park, it would have made this video. Yes, some of the swings are terrible. Keep in mind that a lot of the "Gold Teams" are really comprised of 16U players playing up. Heck, my dd played this level at 14. I'm betting that she looked like this more than once. This young lady is one of the best in the Midwest and she will do well in college.

Dec 19, 2012
Yes, she is an outstanding pitcher and is going the UDub. However, keep in mind that the purpose of this video is to show her off. I doubt that had a hitter hit one out of the park, it would have made this video. Yes, some of the swings are terrible. Keep in mind that a lot of the "Gold Teams" are really comprised of 16U players playing up. Heck, my dd played this level at 14. I'm betting that she looked like this more than once. This young lady is one of the best in the Midwest and she will do well in college.

Of course the purpose of the video is to show her off. I'm not disputing that at all. I've seen her pitch and she makes many swings per game look silly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06