Epic Failure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes we have played the younger Diamonds teams and seen the 16u team play....they don't bat like that.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
imager.php
[/URL] GIFSoup[/IMG]

If this girl was swinging from a wheelchair, I'd almost think it was my 70 yo mother.

I have no problem with the pitcher, she mixes speed and location very well.

But these batters are not even making a good cut on the pitch. There are two who have a solid swing at the plate.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
All good points. My purpose in linking the video was to look at what the young players hitting (3 different teams included) might have done in technique to improve their chances. Even though this young pitcher is elite I am sure most of them had seen plenty of 58 -62 over the summer and some decent rise balls.

Certainly the video is intended to highlight this pitcher but count the batters. Plenty of outs tallied each game.

What parts of the swing assist in hitting a pitcher like this. I see -

1) players not getting down on the front side nearly close to early enough

2) Girls pushing knob to pitch and creating a late pivot point well after the pitch is past them.

What do you see?

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I see a need to be ready, slow and early.

A plan to swing at every pitch.

Mechanics should help against faster pitching, not have to change because of it.

Bustos (was just looking at a clip of her) was very very sudden...last micro second snap through the ball.

Oct 10, 2011
Load

Showed DD this and she thought they needed a better load. She felt they didn't look very "smooth" during the entire swing.
After talking about it, we think many could have benifited by starting their load sooner in a slow "building of energy" (of course that was taken from here).
She was also wondering if they were watching the ball:)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
You know...I think it was the 15u Naperville Diamonds that won the Midwest utrip regional world series 2 or 3 years ago.

Dec 19, 2012
What the ladies are doing is guessing wrong. They expect the rise, they get the change. They expect the change, they get the drop. They expect the drop, they get the rise.....etc. They're swinging like this because they are fooled by the pitch. You can throw mechanics out of the window when you guess.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The last I heard Miss Alvelo (2015) verballed to Washington. What you are watching is a PAC-12 pitching talent going against mainly Mid-Major D1 and D2 quality players. Miss Alvelo is an amazing talent, with total command, control, and change of speed that would make your head spin. So don't knock the hitters that have gone against her in that video because the kids of many here, including my own, would look just as silly trying to hit against a talent like that.

Those were my thoughts. This is a great pitcher, and it's a video of HER highlights, not the hitters'. Maybe these hitters need work. But it reminds me of the line used by Mike Tyson - "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.'' It's hard to look good when somebody who's better than you just knocked you on your rear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06