Epic Failure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
IMO we can't know what most of these girls "swings" are like because all we've seen is video of them getting fooled pretty badly.

The question then is this: would high-level swing mechanics enable them to look better and be more successful?

My thought: yes, a good early/slow load with a nice ride of the rear leg would give them a bigger/better timing window that may have given them a bit more success. But I also think they'd need a pretty good plan at the plate (zone/look for a pitch as GoingDeep said, or....wait to hit the pitcher's failed pitches -- the ones too fat or that don't bite) to really be successful against a dominant pitcher.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO we can't know what most of these girls "swings" are like because all we've seen is video of them getting fooled pretty badly.

The question then is this: would high-level swing mechanics enable them to look better and be more successful?

My thought: yes, a good early/slow load with a nice ride of the rear leg would give them a bigger/better timing window that may have given them a bit more success. But I also think they'd need a pretty good plan at the plate (zone/look for a pitch as GoingDeep said, or....wait to hit the pitcher's failed pitches -- the ones too fat or that don't bite) to really be successful against a dominant pitcher.

Batter v. Elite Pitcher:

Bad mechanics + no plan = 0.010
Bad mechanics + plan = 0.050
Good mechanics + no plan = 0.200
Good mechanics + plan = 0.333+

YMMV

Oct 19, 2009
Tee work to me means more that placing a ball in the center of the plate and hitting ball after ball in the same location. It begins with working on tracking the ball on every swing and continues with hitting balls in all nine hitting zones. The mechanics should be solid in all 9 zones and feedback should give you a good indication of the zones you need to improve on.

Then we work on hitting balls out of the zones, IMO when you have an umpire calling strikes outside the zones and you as a hitter know you can reach and hit balls that he is calling strikes because you have worked on it, is a big confidence builder. Got this great advice from Hitter.

Seems like I recall where Bustos hit balls off a tee routinely for hours at a time.

To be a sucessful hitter you have to hit the best pitchers you will face.

Mar 12, 2009
I haven't read any of the post but it looks like the pitcher just does an amazing job of hitting her spots and changing speeds...the batters have no clue at all what's coming and if they don't swing it's still a strike!

Apr 1, 2010
The first obvious thing was it was clear most had not seen a quality riseball like that, my next thought was there was a lot of selective editing, in one of the shots there were girls on second and third I think they did not magically appear there but yeah the pitcher looked great,more props to her than a knock against the hitter, although the slappers did leave a lot to be desired.

That pitcher does look great. I was thinking that if I were a player getting ready to go up against her, I'd want to see the exact opposite of this video--I'd want to see how those hitters who got on base went about it.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
That pitcher does look great. I was thinking that if I were a player getting ready to go up against her, I'd want to see the exact opposite of this video--I'd want to see how those hitters who got on base went about it.

Bunt her first... give her some pressure on bases... Crowd the plate... fake the bunt... they all needed to stand up closer in the box!

Jul 17, 2012
I think when you face a pitcher like this...your goal is no longer to "Drive" the ball. Will only happen if you get lucky, guess right, and she throws you a meatball. Rather than drive the ball, put the ball in play... try and manufacture a few runs and hope the girl standing in the circle when your team is in the field can win the game for you. When you see that video, and you read the topic of the post... I would have expected to see the coach with a red circle and slash as the ending caption to the video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06