drag and hand activation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Well - what about girls who throw right and swing left? Or vice versa? How do you get them started?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Well - what about girls who throw right and swing left? Or vice versa? How do you get them started?

Never had a girl that I've worked with who threw right and swung left or vice versa. Maybe I'd buy her Ted's "Science of Hitting" book (He threw right and hit left), LOL.

I'd sit down with her and tailor a program that worked for her, of course. One of the reasons I believe it's important to study the under-the-hood actions of the swing in great detail, is so that I can adapt my approach to fit the situation. I suspect I would rely more on third party info such as "The Secret in The Dirt" by Sevam. However some of the none throwing stuff I use now, such as Epstein's "Torque Drill" would still work fine. I use a hands on approach anyways, and always demo the movements for the girls before having them attempt them. IMO, emulation is a very effective way to learn. That's how it was done back in Ted's day.

One thing I'm not going to do is abandon an approach that I know works for most kids, because of a small percentage who throw one way and bat another.

T

theaddition

I also agree with Ken's comment about men not being able to duplicate bat drag. I've tried, and I cannot get my elbows to get ahead of my hands like a lot of the younger boys and girls do. If I did I would be in the hospital.

What causes the the elbow (upper arm/hand) to be in this position.
It's related to bat drag IMO.
It has a lot to do with unlocking the sequence correctly (including the actions of the hand(s)) in both throwing and hitting.
BSWthrow.gif

ThrowingBSW.gif

BD

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
MTS, Well ..... I've had girls that were right handed throwers and batted lefty. In terms of learning the mechanics of a sidearm throw, I simply informed them that when they took on the objective to swing from the left side, that they also assumed the responsibility to learn how to perform a sidearm throw from the left side as well. I didn't offer any shortcuts simply because they were naturally right handed and chose to bat left handed.

R

RayR

My daughter and another girl I will be working with throw right and bat left. I throw and bat left so I do everything like I am the mirror for right hand hitters and throwers...

Since you brought up Sevam...my take on it is old school digging in with the rear foot and we were taught to try and keep the back foot down otherwise we would lunge.

I dabbled in this a couple of years ago as I saw something in the ULL hitters that was not being talked about in the hitting message boards. To me - it looks like the rear foot is being pulled off the ground - heel first. A different unload then the elvis exchange heels.

Just pay attention to the back foot. Then watch the hip cock/gathering move setting up the sequence.

ull-bryant-side-d-cf-ab3.gif

ull-runyan-side-s-cf-ab2.gif

ull-hamilton-side-s-rf-ab2.gif

Then this one of Sandoval from the rear shows the same foot action

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I dabbled in this a couple of years ago as I saw something in the ULL hitters that was not being talked about in the hitting message boards. To me - it looks like the rear foot is being pulled off the ground - heel first. A different unload then the elvis exchange heels.

Good eye.

This is "the move". This, IMO, is what should be taught.

Jul 11, 2009
do your best to ‘Verify’ that the information is correct before putting it into practice with students.

Thats funny cause on this board, and I can only imagine others you are on, no one has to verify anything cause you are always telling everyone how wrong they are!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not following you DadO. I highly recommend that people not bypass the verification stage. That's been my policy in all aspects of life for decades.

Put it this way ..... if people are being perfectly honest with each other, then there should be no concern that the people you are dealing with will go through a verification process. I find that it is the people that are handing out faulty, or questionable information, that tend to take offense to having their material verified.

Trust, But Verify.

Oct 25, 2009
I've learned from those I believe to be wrong as well as from the ones who I believe to be right. None of the information shared on here is required to be taught.

As long as one ignores the personal attacks there is much good information to be learned here. Everyone who is seriously trying to learn more will benefit from the discussion of their differences. What I believe and teach is a composite of what I've learned through trial and error and good and bad advice.

There is no one way to hit! If you work with multiple hitters you will have to apply various bits and pieces of what you have learned. What works for one does not work for all; what works for all may not work for one.

Keep an open mind!!

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Since you brought up Sevam...my take on it is old school digging in with the rear foot and we were taught to try and keep the back foot down otherwise we would lunge.

I agree that the rear foot gets pulled off the ground heel first. I also agree that it is a totally different unload than the Elvis exchange of the heels. When Mattingly/Boggs pointed out to Ted that his back heel came up off the ground, his response was "that's hard not to do". Once I understood how Ted weight shifted, it became very clear how the unload happens.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd