DD temper issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
She was right in her assessment but I told her not all of them played with the same passion that she did.

Then you have her playing at the wrong level. If she is that serious about winning and has the talent the best thing for that type of athlete is to be with like minded teammates.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Then you have her playing at the wrong level. If she is that serious about winning and has the talent the best thing for that type of athlete is to be with like minded teammates.

She does play with like minded teammates on her Travel team, this was her school team. This has never happened with the travel team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Then you have her playing at the wrong level. If she is that serious about winning and has the talent the best thing for that type of athlete is to be with like minded teammates

Sparky, does it matter? Her behavior for a 15 YOA girl is unacceptable.

At 15YOA, I would be much more direct with her. "If you can't behave properly, then you are off the team."

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Sparky, does it matter? Her behavior for a 15 YOA girl is unacceptable.

Ray,

Re-read the comment from the poster. He stated his daughter was frustrated with her basketball teammates for their lack of hustle and was getting on them. She wasn't throwing a tantrum. Obviously, the girl needed to be with girls who were at her competitive level instead of being forced to play down to their level.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Wow, a lot of rationalizing happening here. A player regardless of talent or talent level playing has a responsibility to place the team and teammates above her selfish desire to draw attention to herself by throwing tantrums.

SELF DELETED the rest of my response because I went off the deep end about my opinion on this issue. In short, instead of throwing a fit, how about getting in the dugout and being a leader by rooting for the other players on the team. How about being a leader when a teammate makes an error and telling them that you have their back and let's get the next out. It is easy to rationalize that a player cares too much when in fact the player wants to draw attention to themselves by such selfish acts. BTW, we played a team last weekend in a national tournament. We saw players walk in to the dugout, throw equipment, curse ... it was embarassing watch the play and as a coach it was even more embarassing watching the coaching staff and dads cower to their out of contol brats. (Ok so this is a part of what I edited. Still, believe it or not, I held back.)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would have less leeway, dealing with her on a school team, than I would TB. She is representing the school and I don't want her problem to become my problem, when the AD calls me in.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Amy, of course I look at most things from a HS coach's perspective but I coached my dd in travel ball growing up as well. I just don't have the patience for ill tempered players. I guess I've been lucky enought that if I had any, they got the point right away about what I will tolerate.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sparky...re-read the first post. He said, "Any suggestions for a daughter that is displaying temper tantrums after not hitting the ball? (throwing bat and or helmet in the dugout) This has not been a constant problem but has really reared it head over the last 3 weekends."

Nov 29, 2009
Sparky...re-read the first post. He said, "Any suggestions for a daughter that is displaying temper tantrums after not hitting the ball? (throwing bat and or helmet in the dugout) This has not been a constant problem but has really reared it head over the last 3 weekends."

DD was carrying her Basketball team. Towards the end of the season I (coach) noticed that she was beginning to point fingers at the other girls for not doing their part. She was right in her assessment but I told her not all of them played with the same passion that she did. It got worse with her yelling and I benched her only to have her cry the last 2 minutes. This happened for 2 games when I finally told her it either stops now or she won't play any more. I didn't care if we lost all of them by 40 points. After another talk I was able to convince her that regardless of the expectations of the other players or the parents, I did not expect her to carry the team by herself. She relaxed some and finished the season on a very positive note. Kids that are good with an expectation that they will carry the team have a lot of extra baggage they bring to the field or floor. Make sure she knows it is a team sport. Not just her and some kids watching her.

Ray, This is what I was answering. I should have stated it from InsidePitch's first comment. Not the OP's post. My mistake. His DD was frustrated with her BBall teammates. Nothing to do with playing softball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA