DD temper issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
His DD was frustrated with her BBall teammates.
True nothing to do with softball but the frustration and behavior sound similar. I was only offering my perspective on what caused my DD's frustration, how long it lasted and what I did to alleviate it.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
update...Coaches talked to her in pract on thursday.

.She pitched in third game saturday..Ended up pitching a no hitter and had 2 rbi triples...so it was a good day.

Sunday she pitched the first game...threw a 3 hit shutout.

In the finals she had a rough 1st inning. Gave up a lead off single, walked the 2nd batter then hit the third. 4th batter hit it back to her..she went for the easy out at home and promptly threw the ball (slowy) over the catchers head. One run scored.
She went kind of storming back to the mound..mad at herself. Collected herself then gave up a popfly hit to centerfield (should have been caught) 2 more runs scored.

Then she struck out 1 and got 2 infield popflies to end the inning. You could tell she was frustrated (with herself)...first at bat she K'd...she was mad..(you could tell by her expression) but she went back to the dugout and didnt throw anything.

Next inning she gave up another run...(cant remember how) but from there she settled down and shut them down the rest of the game and she started smiling by the middle of the game. We ended up losing 4-2. But i was proud of her and i told her such after the game. She dealt with the frustration in a much better manner and got back playing her game. I gave her a hug and we talked a little on the way home.
It was a much better ride home than the previous 2 weekends.

I know the problem isnt solved but hopefully she has taken a step in the right direction.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
JBG...

since she is a competitor, it might help to start talking to her about her mental approach to pitching.

(1) No one has perfect control of all the pitches during a game. So, her job before and during a game is to figure out which of her pitches is working. She also figures out the umpire's strike zone. Then, she determines how to use what she she has to get the batters out. She really doesn't have the time emotionally or mentally to become upset.
(2) Since your DD is an advanced pitcher, pitching is about keeping the body relaxed during the game. If her body stays relaxed, she will pitch well. If she starts to tense up, she will pitch poorly. Why? Tension in the body interferes with the muscle memory. Her body has to be as relaxed during a game as when she is throwing to you in the backyard. Specifically, if she tenses her neck and shoulders, her pitching will go down the tube.

It is, of course, difficult to stay relaxed during a game when everyone is screaming at her and the game is the on the line. But, staying relaxed is as much a part of the game as throwing a curve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA