Best, or saddest, comment made by your DD...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Do we have the same DD? This was my DD about mid-season as so many girls on the team just quit trying. They laughed off the mistakes and losses. The handful of girls that cared, played their hearts out. I wish them well for their future, because the coach just cut all of them.

Did he cut all of the girls, or all of the girls that quit trying? Hopefully the girls that played their hearts out are still around and can influence the new girls.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Did he cut all of the girls, or all of the girls that quit trying? Hopefully the girls that played their hearts out are still around and can influence the new girls.

All the girls that quit trying. We have 5 girls left out of a 13 girl roster. My DD and 1 of the other 5, were new to the team. The rest of these girls have been together since t-ball. Kinda makes me feel bad, but hey, my DD was putting in 110% and was frustrated she couldn't do more because she was behind the plate every game.

I just reread what I wrote and it did sound like he cut the wrong group of girls. LOL

Feb 27, 2011
SC
FOR THE DAD WHO SAYS DD PLAYED HER LAST TRAVEL BALL GAME TOINGHT; Did you push her hard the last couple of years, how often did you make her practice? Did you miss a lot of vacation/birthdays etc. for tournaments/practice. Just trying to get a heads up.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Funniest thing: After hitting a line shot down the third base line, GDD declared "the third basemen didn't even get a sniff of the ball".
Best thing: "Daddy, will you please be quite while I am trying to play a game!"

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
FOR THE DAD WHO SAYS DD PLAYED HER LAST TRAVEL BALL GAME TOINGHT; Did you push her hard the last couple of years, how often did you make her practice? Did you miss a lot of vacation/birthdays etc. for tournaments/practice. Just trying to get a heads up.

I think you are refering to my post, although she said it was her last travel ball season (not game). I did not push her nor make her practice. She wanted to play fall rec. ball, spring rec. ball, middle school ball, and travel ball. My DW and I were hesitant about letting her do so much, but she's only 13 once and there are no do-overs. We would be happy if she only played middle school ball, and are hoping she decides to do that this Spring.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My 8U DD referring to the other 1st baseman on her team (and the one on her big sis's team)....."She couldn't catch a snowflake in a blizzard!"

Feb 27, 2011
SC
[ I think you are refering to my post, although she said it was her last travel ball season (not game). I did not push her nor make her practice. She wanted to play fall rec. ball, spring rec. ball, middle school ball, and travel ball. My DW and I were hesitant about letting her do so much, but she's only 13 once and there are no do-overs. We would be happy if she only played middle school ball, and are hoping she decides to do that this Spring
Yes Ivys Dad I was, many of my DD's friends are starting to" hang up their cleats", for varying reasons. My 13 year old is playing/has played a lot of SB the past 2 years, rec., travel, JV, camps, lessons, and occasionaly watching video clips on this forum with me. I try not to push her too hard, we now take time for vacations, birthdays , but I try to learn from others, thats why I asked how much you pushed her to play, and whether that was the reason. I worry if I am pushing too much, and how much is too much.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
[Yes Ivys Dad I was, many of my DD's friends are starting to" hang up their cleats", for varying reasons. My 13 year old is playing/has played a lot of SB the past 2 years, rec., travel, JV, camps, lessons, and occasionaly watching video clips on this forum with me. I try not to push her too hard, we now take time for vacations, birthdays , but I try to learn from others, thats why I asked how much you pushed her to play, and whether that was the reason. I worry if I am pushing too much, and how much is too much.

What I have tried to do is support her choices. When she said she wanted to try out for the middle school team, I let her know what she would have to do to make it (her middle school team was very competitive, with 50 girls trying out for 21 spots). When she started to slack off, I would ask her if she still intended to try out for the team. If she said yes, I expected her to practice, etc. I also told her if she said no, she wouldn't hear another word from me. She always said yes, and would practice as expected.

My DD still loves the sport (she asked me to do batting practice in the backyard today), but I think she is getting burned out on the competition end of things. The fact that her travel team has a 3-12-1 record I'm sure isn't helping with her enthusiasm for the sport. I think after some time away she'll come back. I told her I'm planning on going to the batting cages this Fall and that she is welcome to go with me. From her response, I think she will.

I guess my best advice at this age (13) would be to make the sport available, but do not force the issue. Wait for her to initiate, and most likely she will. If you try to push the issue, she'll most likely quit just to spite you. That's just how 13 year old girls are.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Heard this one from my dd yesterday. She hurt her shoulder on a base hit which is really the return of a HS injury that we thought was healed. Then, she gets a hit the next game and is grabbing her shoulder. One of her coaches tells her she has to decide if she is hurt or ... and whether she can play. She stays in the game. The next inning, wild throw to 1st, she stretches to right field side, does the splits, backhands the ball and gets the out. She can't get up. After about 5 minutes, she tells the coach she can play. She finishes the inning and then tries to run in from the field. Can't run. She goes behind the dugout to try to run some more. She comes to me and says, "Dad I just can't play. I hurt too much." I tell her that we understand. Then she says, "Dad I've never given up before."

It was hard watching her go to the coach and take herself out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Cannonball, Dr. Dan Adair fixed both of my shoulders. He is absolutely the best. He is in Springfield. I am sorry to her that your DD is hurt. I didn't know that.

Shoulder pain is worse than child birth.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA