Basic compreshensive DVDs for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
My league is looking into buying these DVDs to give to coaches in our rec league as a baseline for instruction.

Can anyone vouch for them, recommend others, or is this sort of thing not worthwhile?

Jul 26, 2010
They're alright. I don't think they go in depth enough to be too useful, but for first time coaches they may help. The flipside is that most of the content is on youtube.

In my opinion, your league would be better off doing a series of coaches clinics from reputable instructors in the area, and making the clinics mandatory for all coaches. This would be money better spent.

-W

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Instead of the DVDs I would suggest working with the Managers/ Coaches on how to run a practice. I am amazed how disorganized most practices are.

Spend the money on getting someone that knows how to run a practice, have them explain it and answer questions.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Also, sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. guys watch a Video a few times and think they have become an expert on the subject.

I agree with quincy, but I would add that in the off-season, you might want to agree upon some teaching goals for all managers/coaches. Like with my teams I always make a list at the beginning of the season of what I want them to learn that season, regardless of where we start. It includes fundamentals of throwing, fielding, baserunning and hitting. sort of a minimum baseline. anything more than that is icing on the cake.

Also, even better is to teach the coaches how to teach the parents! if you get parents working with kids at home (especially with throwing and glove positioning), that's where you'll see the greatest improvement! but most of them don't know where to start or what to stress. Most don't realize they can do soft toss with whiffleballs in their yard.

you can't achieve miracles in one season, but you can achieve improvement.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00