Ball Popping Out of Glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
So I have three catchers who seem to all have the same issue with their respective catching gloves. They all seem to have issue with the ball going in the glove and popping out.

They are all new gloves and are properly sized (although I don't know the sizes off the top of my head).

It would seem to me that they gloves aren't broken in. I can't get my hand in so it's hard to say from just looking at them.

I only played catcher in baseball so the ball is smaller and the ball is consumed by the glove so this was never an issue.

Any tips from fastptich catchers on what I should be looking for with regards to the gloves? I realize that the solution is probably breaking them in but I have never broken in a catchers glove.

Any tips or thoughts?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A properly sized and broken in glove that was specifically designed for fastpitch softball catchers is important. If the catchers mitts are not broken in, ask your bucket dads to use them for a couple of weeks while catching their DD pitching lessons. Catching 500+ balls/week will break the gloves in quickly, especially if they are oiled first.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't think that the dad's can get the mitt on their hands. The girls have to keep at it. You can pound the pocket with a softball on a dowel rod or a rubber mallet. Always keep a softball in the pocket of the glove and try closing the mitt around it and secure the glove closed.

Some girls sit and catch balls off of a machine, and that works quickly.

Apr 1, 2010
Are you near any place that will steam gloves? That can really improve things, especially with a catcher's mitt.

I think certain mitt designs are more prone to popping out than others. The depth and style of the pocket can make a huge difference. The closed pockets make a more intimidating pop, but I think the open pockets tend to grab the ball better. A shallow pocket will be faster to get the ball out of for a quick throw, but again, the ball is more likely not to bounce out of a deep pocket IMO. As with much in life, everything's a trade-off. :-D

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I don't think that the dad's can get the mitt on their hands.

I have average sized hands and have broken in several catchers mitts and even a couple of fielders gloves some my DD and other players on our team. I need to retire from breaking in fielders mitts - my DD throws too hard now and it really hurts if I do not catch the ball in the pocket!

Feb 4, 2013
My dd's catching coach says that the thumb should be pointing up to avoid catchers thumb (repeated pounding on the thumb joint that comes with it pointing down ). I'm no pro but after catching dd's and 2 other pitchers every game day, the thumb does get sore if I go with the thumb down. /shrug

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
There are several reasons that the ball pops or drops out of a catcher's mitt. Using a baseball mitt as a fastpitch catcher's mitt will cause the ball to pop out or be dropped. (Seen it more than once...) A new glove (not broken in) will cause this as well. Palming the catch is common for younger catchers. Receiving pitches in the palm of the glove is like catching the pitch with a trampoline. Encourage your catcher to guide the pocket to the ball as the ball is caught. This should be emphasized at every warm up and practice. A glove that has a heavily padded palm will be extremely hard for younger catchers to close. You didn't mention your catcher's ages... It is a good idea to consider the catcher's age and the pitching velocities they will be facing. 10-12 U facing slower pitches will want a mitt with less padding in the palm. It will be easier to break in and easier to close. A mature 12U and older will want to invest in mitts with additional palm padding to protect their hands. They will have the grip strength to close a heavier padded mitt. One of the best mitts for hand protection are the Vinci's. I know of 3 catchers that have switched to these gloves for this very reason. They can be difficult for younger hands to close though. One little-realized glove detail that causes a lot of dropped pitches are the wrist straps. Wrist straps cinched up too early or too tight will pull across the back of the hand making it very difficult to close the mitt. This can act as a splint to keep the hand open. Velcro wrist straps should be kept loose until the hand is inserted in the mitt. Then have your catcher squeeze the mitt closed. Only then should the strap be cinched. Lace wrists straps should be adjusted for a slightly loose fit with the hand in glove. Monitor how well your catcher squeezes the mitt closed. Also remember to use the thumb and pinky straps in the mitt.
-Chaz

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01