Backhanding the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Seconded on the Howard Kobata dvds. He just released his second set which better describes the drills he uses. It may seem a bit controversial because it's not exactly the way we were all taught (at least I wasn't), but he explained it enough for me to open my mind and make sense of it. I love that he helps teach us how to teach it to the kids and look for common mistakes. It's one thing to know the information, another to know how to convey it.

Apr 1, 2010
In that baseball clinic my DD goes to every week, they always practice three techniques for ground balls: the traditional in-front, circling around the ball to field and throw on the run, and the backhand plant and throw. It's very interesting.

I also have a couple of Howard's dvds and am watching them in my spare time (LOL). They're very good.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2008
hen,

I have Howard K's first set of dvd's. Is the new set just redone? or updated? in other words do I need these new dvd's. I dont mind spending $99 for these but dont want to buy information I already have.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
IMO the ideas are more or less the same but he goes into more depth. He does a much better job of explaining how to set up the drills and what he's looking for. He actually shows some common mistakes that are made (has the girls demo) and then goes back to show the difference. The video quality is also better.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Just got back from a baseball fielding clinic, one of the things I found interesting is how much they stressed backhanding the ball. Basically anything to the right of the fielder should be backhanded, assuming a righty fielder.

Does this make sense?

Kobata recommends a true backhand as a last resort. He stresses "cutting in" with the glove side foot during the cross over step and fielding the ball between your feet with the glove facing forward; whenever possible. My experience is that fielders can only use this technique on slower hit balls to the backhand side. However IMO it is quicker than rounding or raking because it is a more direct path to the ball. I've found that most girls can easily learn to do it, but it takes many, many reps to break them of the habit of rounding. I've yet to have a player do it in a game. Maybe this year at the 16u level.

So I would say that only hard hit balls to the right of the fielder get backhanded in the traditional sense. Any balls to the right that allow time for a the fielder to "cut in" with the glove foot is quicker.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Kobata recommends a true backhand as a last resort. He stresses "cutting in" with the glove side foot during the cross over step and fielding the ball between your feet with the glove facing forward; whenever possible. My experience is that fielders can only use this technique on slower hit balls to the backhand side. However IMO it is quicker than rounding or raking because it is a more direct path to the ball. I've found that most girls can easily learn to do it, but it takes many, many reps to break them of the habit of rounding. I've yet to have a player do it in a game. Maybe this year at the 16u level.

So I would say that only hard hit balls to the right of the fielder get backhanded in the traditional sense. Any balls to the right that allow time for a the fielder to "cut in" with the glove foot is quicker.

faafli.gif

Jan 20, 2010
Third Base will have the most of these. I agree with backhand as a last resort. When you have your corner up and that batter sends one right down the line, not much else you can do. SS should always try to make the play infront of them with good footwork and getting into a position to throw the ball to the intended base. Backhand last resort. I have seen girls that will get down on one knee at SS and attempt a backhand only for the ball to hit off the heal of the glove. With the backhand it is one of the few times you actually want the ball in the web of the glove. This girl could of easily taken one more step and fielded the ball in front of her, but she thought the backhand was much cooler looking.

Jul 26, 2010
The better the fielder, the more they will set their feet for the throw before their glove ever hits the fielded ball. Softball is too fast otherwise. In rec ball, you will see coaches stress "getting in front of the ball", because at that level, it's better that the ball bounces off of their bodies and stays in front of them somehow. At higher levels, the fielders are simply expected to field the ball, and that rec ball "stay in front of the ball" stuff disappears.

Also, don't be worried about the size of the ball and the glove. Infielders are using smaller and smaller gloves, and they're shaping them in such a fashion to where they are flared out at the thumb and pinky very hard to close. I know a 6' third baseman who just graduated from a D1 school who was using an 11" glove. An infielder should never hold the ball in their glove, the glove is just a tool with which to redirect the ball to the throwing hand where it belongs.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck