USSSA approved drying agent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2023
DD pitcher moved teams and now plays in more USSSA tournaments than USA softball tournaments. USA Softball maintains current lists of approved drying agents: https://www.usasoftball.com/certified-equipment/

Does USSSA have anything similar besides lists of bat and ball manufactures? Specifically she has gotten used to gorilla gold, especially on cooler wetter days. And we have some tournaments (USSSA) upcoming here in the great northeast where it would help her out.

I have found some posts on here from a few years back, where the manufacturer states it's approved, but the rules being vague opens up ump interpretation.

Aug 18, 2018
My DD uses gorilla gold. There is no specific call out for the gorilla gold. I believe there were old versions that did call it out specifically.

Have not had any issues. Umps seem to know more about it now

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
Its my understanding it is legal in just about every ruleset. I cannot find anything specific from USSSA that spells it out.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
USSSA has a rule that talks about an approved list of agents. But there does not appear to be a list.

In that case, whatever USA has set is probably a good call.

May 29, 2015
USSSA has a rule that talks about an approved list of agents. But there does not appear to be a list.

Shocked, I tell you, shocked.

A Google search for "USSSA Softball approved drying agent" brings up . . .

1.) Discuss Fastpitch threads
2.) Link to the 2024 rule book (pdf)
3.) Link to a local assignor website clarifying that NFHS does not require a pitcher to wipe after using the agent, but NCAA does (no mention of USSSA or USA)

No mention of any USSSA approved list.

May 29, 2015
Its my understanding it is legal in just about every ruleset. I cannot find anything specific from USSSA that spells it out.

This statement still makes me cringe. It is not illegal legal. . . it can be used illegally. That is why "it is legal" makes me cringe. Just like a bat . . . your bat is on the approved bat list, but that does not mean it is always legal.

EDIT NOTE: I mistakenly typed "illegal" in my initial post and that may have changed the reading. I have struck that and corrected it.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
This statement still makes me cringe. It is not illegal . . . it can be used illegally. That is why "it is legal" makes me cringe. Just like a bat . . . your bat is on the approved bat list, but that does not mean it is always legal.
Every drying agent can be used illegally, so what is your point?

Mar 1, 2013
Naturally, "by the book", lacking a list of "approved drying agents" you'd have to disallow it. In practice, it's likely going to be overlooked. If I'm on the plate in a utrip tournament, though, and a coach brings up that the pitcher is using GG and that it's not on a USSSA approved list of drying agents, I'd have the GG removed from the game and apply the appropriate penalty (illegal pitch). It's ticky tacky for sure, but thems the rulz and there is a $3 plastic trophy at stake.

May 29, 2015
Every drying agent can be used illegally, so what is your point?

My point is that I hate this discussion every time it comes up for this very reason. Declaring that it has been made legal because the manufacturer says so is shady. Saying there is an approved list when there is not an approved list is shady. The alphabet is putting the umpire in an impossible situation.

I'd also point out that there is a KEY provision of the rule that is routinely ignored. "Under the supervision and control of the umpire, the pitcher may use . . . " If you are walking onto the field with a tacky towel because the sales rep told you that you could, then that is NOT under my supervision and control and is NOT legal. Yet, the coach is going to stand there and scream at me that it is. Then, I have to take a page out of @eddieq 's book and say, "Can you show me the list?"

Third point: USSSA's rule specifically says "No tacky or sticky substances can be used as a substitute for a powdered drying agent." Gorilla Gold's own marketing material states it is tacky.

So, cold chills run down my spine every time somebody says "Gorilla Gold is LEGAL."

Then again, these organizations don't seem as if they really want us enforcing anything anymore.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Please point out where I said one word about the manufacturer claimed it was legal in usssa?

According to a usssa state UIC I know it is perfectly legal in usssa. He says it is in their casebook and is supposed to be getting me a reference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad