Backhanding the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just got back from a baseball fielding clinic, one of the things I found interesting is how much they stressed backhanding the ball. Basically anything to the right of the fielder should be backhanded, assuming a righty fielder.

Does this make sense?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It makes a ton of sense, especially at SS. With the shorter bases it makes even more sense for softball.

When the kids are small we teach them to get in front of every ball, its the right way to teach a little one. but as they get older, and the runners get faster. backhanding a ball allows the fielder to get her shoulders turned and ready to throw that much faster, plus it lets you set your feet pointing toward 1st faster.

To me the one exception to this would be the ball the fielder can get around and catch with her momentum headed toward first

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks

I am a little concerned with how big the ball is compared to the size of DD’s glove. She might need to be pretty precise to consistently backhand the ball. We will try it and see how it works.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Thanks

I am a little concerned with how big the ball is compared to the size of DD’s glove. She might need to be pretty precise to consistently backhand the ball. We will try it and see how it works.

Like anything else it has to be learned and perfected. You wouldn't think of teaching your dd a new pitch and expect her to use it in the very next game. It has to be practiced for a while before it is put into use.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
A couple of key points, you have to be able to squeeze the glove with your thumb, pinky and ring finger which is hard sometimes for younger players. (For more glove control, players can place their pinky and ring finger in the last slot in the glove, and then move over the other fingers leaving the index finger slot empty).

The second one is not to let the shoulder act like a hinge (go back when receiving the ball), instead let the elbow bend.

Another is to get them to use proper footwork after backhanding the ball.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Mike Candrea: USA Softball - Defensive Drills - YouTube

starting at about 0:40 they work on shuffling to the right side, then about 1:00 they get to the backhand, about 1:30 they get into the rake. He touches a bit more on backhands at 2:05. The 'traditional' backhand where the left foot crosses over the right and they reach far to the right is the slowest and hardest to get something on the throw, but may be necessary if they don't get a good jump on the ball or it's simply hit too far.

Another point to stress though it seems basic is to make sure their glove opening is completely facing the ball. Many times it may be skewed a bit and that could be the difference between a bobble or not.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Mike Candrea: USA Softball - Defensive Drills - YouTube

starting at about 0:40 they work on shuffling to the right side, then about 1:00 they get to the backhand, about 1:30 they get into the rake. He touches a bit more on backhands at 2:05. The 'traditional' backhand where the left foot crosses over the right and they reach far to the right is the slowest and hardest to get something on the throw, but may be necessary if they don't get a good jump on the ball or it's simply hit too far.

Another point to stress though it seems basic is to make sure their glove opening is completely facing the ball. Many times it may be skewed a bit and that could be the difference between a bobble or not.

Good Point!

hen

Dec 1, 2010
To add on, the further the glove is to the right of the left shoulder (IOW the deeper the ball gets), the more the glove tends to turn. The closer the feet are together, the harder it is to get down and low to the ball and they tend to get off balance. It also promotes fielding the ball further from the left foot. If the foot, glove, and head are aligned closer like | vs \, it makes it easier to track the ball. I've had success teaching the proper foot spacing by having them in a position to take a normal grounder and just pivot their feet to get into the appropriate backhand position (left for the left crossover, right for the open one like at 1:00 in the video)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just got back from a baseball fielding clinic, one of the things I found interesting is how much they stressed backhanding the ball. Basically anything to the right of the fielder should be backhanded, assuming a righty fielder.

Does this make sense?

I just read "hen's" excellent post and would refer you to it also!

backhand sm.jpg

Anything you can't get in front of you backhand! And, you should get in front by angling around the ball as much as possible. In the USA team fielding video, this is a backhand position known as "raking". Also, cross-over step, cross-over step, cross-over step. I see too many infielders taking their first step with the closest foot to the ball.

The lower you get, the more body control you have, the faster you stop, the better your reach to the ball.

I have my middle infielders wear a knee pad on their right knee when in the field, and they are taught to drag that right knee when backhanding at full extension.

Left foot forward, right knee down or as low as possible.
Then they can throw in one step as shown in Amanda's photos.

When possible they reach about 1 foot toward home plate to absorb the ball toward the throwing position.

(Please keep in mind that she was an outfielder and Freshman when these were made, but later became an infielder, I might note that she is reaching a little too soon. After the last photo, the left foot steps directly at 1st base.)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I think of the video's I have previewed a little the Howard Kobata defensive fielding video is one of the best on the market. I think he teaches fielding better in the video, than Mike Candrea does in his. And it appears he has done it and understands it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32