All-Star position delima's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
We had our first 10u(machine pitch) all-star scrimmage game last night and everything went well. We did win even though I explained to the parents and players that winning was not our main reason for playing last night. It was to evaluate the girls at different positions and to see were they would best suit our team and put us in a position to win district. Of course they were all infielders in regular season because they were the best players on their chosen teams. As I explained to them at the first practice all 12 players couldn’t play the infield on an all-star team and that all positions would be up for grabs. That being said, last night I had 4 standout players for SS, 3B, and 2B. 1st base and pitcher are solid. They all showed hustle, were into the game mentally, and not one error with the exception of on dropped ball at first base (wide throw). Here is where I need your opinion.
Player #1- strong accurate arm, good glove, very quick,
Player #2- average accurate arm with slow delivery, good glove, quick
Player #3- weaker arm, good glove, however slow
Player #4- Strong arm, good glove, quick…
Delima with player #4, She is an excellent catcher. She is just a natural athlete. My Back up catcher is good, however she very slow in and out of here stance and has an average arm. I know we are not going to throw a lot of runners out at second base but maybe at 3rd.
My thoughts:
Player 1- SS
Player 2- 2nd or 3rd
Player 3- 2nd
Player 4- 3rd or catcher

Positions for Rec. ball and All-stars last year 2 seasons
Player 1 played 2nd last year, SS all this year, but plays 2nd on her TB team.
Player 2 played has played OF, SS last 2 seasons
Player 3 played OF last year and SS this year
Player 4 played IF last year and catcher this season, got moved to 3rd base last 4 games were she played very well.

Thanks for any advice,

JS

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You've made reasonable choices. It is hard to fault your logic.

You may want to consider your pitching. If you're pitchers aren't going to have any wild pitches, then you might get more mileage out of Player#4 at 3rd base. On the other hand, if you are going to have some wild pitches, then you would be better off with Player#4 catching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles