9YO what to focus on first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2024
Looking for a couple of thing to focus on. DD has a tendency to lunge and drop hands during live ABs. I feel like she is staying jammed after contact and needs to finish higher. These are just a couple of swings off a high tee.

Thanks for any advice!!

Aug 20, 2017
Looking for a couple of thing to focus on. DD has a tendency to lunge and drop hands during live ABs. I feel like she is staying jammed after contact and needs to finish higher. These are just a couple of swings off a high tee.

Thanks for any advice!!

Video is set to private

Aug 20, 2017

Thanks for any advice!!

Lunging and dropping hands is very common for her age. Those two issues go together. The tee swing is actually pretty good.

I would use the neck slot in games to help with hands dropping. Get the hands tight to her rear shoulder. Front arm bent at 90 degrees. Rear arm as if she was flexing her bicep 💪 and flat (parallel to ground).

Most likely lunging due to not stretching the upper. The body wants to move forward. The forward move needs to be resisted by stretching the upper rearward. This is why lunging and dropping hands usually occur together.

Also, I would have her in a 45 degree stance. Down the road she will be able to feel the rear leg loading. Helps get a little twist on the rear leg when picking the front foot up and stretching the upper.

I’d also add the que of launching backwards at the moment of go. Every swing (tee, toss, games) launch backwards. Helps with many other swing issues.

Her tee swing is good. I would work on all the above with a moving ball (side toss, front toss). Kids brain can usually make the body do what you want it to do on a tee (ball not moving). When the ball is moving their focus goes to just hitting the ball and they default. Tell her disassociate herself from the result. Focus on using neck slot, stretching the upper some when she picks her foot, getting comfortable with 45 degree stance, and launching backwards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad